LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Can someone point me to instructions for the proper safety wiring of worm clamps?

There's nothing in AC43.15 about it.

I tried to get some help on the EAA Forums about this but as usual the old men there were too interested in saying you don't need to safety wire worm clamps than answer the question.

On the Reiff preheater instructions, it specifically says the worm clamps on the cylinder bands need to be safety wired. I've seen some examples where the safety wire follows the slot in the screw, but I can't figure out what it's safetied to and my attempts yesterday were clumsy -- to be charitable.

I saftied my EGT probes by running through the flat and around the end of the screw sticking out. If not for the extreme temps, I would have roughened the surface, cleaned with MEK or 91% Isopropyl Alcohol then put a dab of red RTV on them. This second method I used on all other hose/scat clamps. You could use it there as temps should not exceed 500F or you would be in big trouble.

Can someone point me to instructions for the proper safety wiring of worm clamps?

There's nothing in AC43.15 about it.

I tried to get some help on the EAA Forums about this but as usual the old men there were too interested in saying you don't need to safety wire worm clamps than answer the question.

On the Reiff preheater instructions, it specifically says the worm clamps on the cylinder bands need to be safety wired. I've seen some examples where the safety wire follows the slot in the screw, but I can't figure out what it's safetied to and my attempts yesterday were clumsy -- to be charitable.

www.reiffpreheat.com/Instructions-HotBand.pdf

4. Safety wire the clamp screws to insure they will not vibrate loose. If they vibrate loose the heating elements will burn out. Put the wire in the screw slot and around and through the screw housing.​

The photos in the previous post show it well.

I safety wire ALL my clamps, not just the cylinder heaters.