WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
So I'm putting on KN HP-1002 oil filter instead of NAPA Gold 1515 because I don't have the experience and comfort not safety wiring even though I see very seasoned builders saying its ok for oil filters not to safety wire. But what about oil temperature sensor? When I removed the old straight oil filter adapter and installed a Casper 90 deg adapter and spacer, I could not reuse the older Lycoming sensor (damaged electrical area). Dynon included a new one in their EMS kit but its not drilled for safety wiring. Are we not safety wiring the oil temp sensors anymore either? This is freaking me out. I'll probably just drill it but wondering if its now acceptable to not wire it. I mean 180 turn on a crush washer doesn't seem enough. Just sayin....

Back then I just wrapped the thing with safety wire, twisted and then tied it off. The wire gripped around the thing and it was not going anywhere.

My new one supplied by Garmin has a hole in it for wire.

I use the hole to safety the sensor to the oil filter and the same wire safeties the filter to the sensor. Kills two birds with one wire....

Mitchell looks like NPT threads....

Casper adapter opening is 5/8-18 UNF (straight thread). Instructions say its possible to damage a straight thread piece by putting in male NPT threaded part. Dynon oil temperature sender is also 5/8-18 UNF. Dynon instructions say an AN-900-10 crush washer is appropriate for this sender. I get that it will seal ok, but I don't get whether its actually secure. NPT threads at least taper and compress for holding power. I think will drill for safety wire. Am I being too concerned about this?

You can put a stainless steel Breeze clamp (hose clamp) around the temp probe and safety-wire to the clamp. Also makes a good place to connect a dedicated ground wire to the clamp to help eliminate bogus readings on the Dynon due to poor ground connection from the probe only being threaded into the engine in the case of single-wire oil temp probes.

I drilled the Dynon oil temperature sensor so that it could be safety wired.

CIMG1566.JPG

Casper adapter opening is 5/8-18 UNF (straight thread). Instructions say its possible to damage a straight thread piece by putting in male NPT threaded part. Dynon oil temperature sender is also 5/8-18 UNF. Dynon instructions say an AN-900-10 crush washer is appropriate for this sender. I get that it will seal ok, but I don't get whether its actually secure. NPT threads at least taper and compress for holding power. I think will drill for safety wire. Am I being too concerned about this?

No - the one for my O-360-A4K has straight threads.

Thanks....

Sorry, Gil, I saw all the NPT info in the Mitchell page but didn't notice that it actually is 5/8-18 UNF. I guess the NPT language was standard Chief Aircraft CYA language in its ad. I'll drill the Dynon sender. Have to think about that grounding issue Neal mentioned too.