Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Looking for information on safety wire type. I've seen a thread or 2 discussing wire diameter, but I'm interested in hearing what material most people are using - stainless? monel? other?

Thanks,

Tom

I have only stainless in 2 diameters -.032 and .040. Of the 2, I mostly use the .032. I wouldn't recommend using any material other than stainless.

Last edited:
I only use two ...

The .041 stuffs too heavy for 95%of applications. I use the .032 for virtually everything but the fasteners and links on the FI servo. For those you need the small stuff .... .020 as I recall. I also use the small stuff for safety wiring hose clamps.

.040 for prop bolts and very few others; .032 on everything else; maybe .020 on turnbuckles.

I recently purchased some safety wire. I noticed there wasn't much of a label on the can. Is all stainless safety wire the same? Are there any standards? Is some guy making this stuff in his garage in Deluth ?(no offense to guys that work in their garage :D)

Just curious if there is a standard for this wire.

Has anyone seen the crimp style safety wire? Lycoming uses what looks like tiny aircraft cable with small crimp fittings used as stops on each end. Can't find any info on the fittings, the tools, or anything else having to do with this method. Might be a nice option for tight places and faster everywhere else. Any info on where to get this stuff would be appreciated.

.040 for prop bolts

The CS Hartzell sold by Vans uses .032 wire but it is my understanding that most FP prop bolts use .040 as you say.

SS safety wires are grade 302 or 304 which are common SS grades.

Purchase a can of .032 and a little .020 and .040.

It is my understanding that .020 brass is used for binding items that are intended to be broken by hand for emergency use (think fire extinguisher for example). I am not aware of any RV applications for brass wire.

Has anyone seen the crimp style safety wire? Lycoming uses what looks like tiny aircraft cable with small crimp fittings used as stops on each end. Can't find any info on the fittings, the tools, or anything else having to do with this method. Might be a nice option for tight places and faster everywhere else. Any info on where to get this stuff would be appreciated.

I looked into that when I got my engine...the tools are *pricey*. I don't recall the name right now (it'll come to me) because it was so far out of my tool budget.

It does look neat, but just unaffordable for me.

.040 for prop bolts and very few others; .032 on everything else; maybe .020 on turnbuckles.

Table 7-8, Page 7-45 of Adv Circular 43.13-1B Acceptable Practices calls for not less than .040 safety wire for any aircraft control cable turnbuckle application.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G