Gsuit

Well Known Member
I posted a message somewhat like this one on the Yahoo! RV forum, so if you've read it - disregard this one (or vice-versa :) )

I'm generally Ok with safetywiring things, but safetywiring the electric aileron trim bias spring to the control column tab is killing me!!! How do you safetywire twist something on both ends?!?! If you need further details, reference drawing OP-19 Completed Assembly Iso View that comes with the electric aileron install kit.

Any advice would be welcome!

aileron trim safety wiring

Near the bottom on this page is my photo of how I did it. Kind of obvious once you see a photo.

http://www3.telus.net/aviation/flying/RV-9A/photos/Fuselage/Fuselage_photos.htm

Good luck

Vern Little

108_0809_2.jpg

Thanks!!!

Vern, you 'ole rascal! That's it. I figured it was something simple... but, I was totally "wrapped around the axle" in capturing both ends in one loop.

Thanks a ton!! I guess I'm buying the next time I see you :D

Bob Collins said:
I'm at this point and my eyes are failing me. I'm not sure what the procedure used for this was. How 'bout a narrative?

Better yet, how 'bout a poem?

Take your wire, loop it through
The spring end (that'll do)
Clamp your pliers 'bout one inch along
Pull the end and twist it strong
Loop through the doodad with the hole
Clamp your pliers and give it a pull
Fold the end and give it a trim
For other side, do it again!

Vern

What's the difference between a $75 pair of safetywire pliers and one for $20, besides $55.00? Are a reversible pair crucial?

jlfernan said:
What's the difference between a $75 pair of safetywire pliers and one for $20, besides $55.00? Are a reversible pair crucial?

Naw, just buy 2 $20 pairs for $40 total. The only catch is that you must specify you want one set for Northern Hemisphere wiring and one set for Southern Hemisphere wiring (you never know when the coriolis effect will make itself known, aviation mechanics must keep in tune with this just as do pilots).

Maybe one of our great OZ friends would be willing to lend you a pair of theirs for a while.

I guess you could just wing it and stand with your back to the work and push on the handle.

Hey, I just saved you any where from $20 to $55, will you buy me a beer?

:p

Jekyll

Last edited:
Jorge:

A serious answer:

I was a military helicopter mechanic for a number of years on 1960 vintage designs which are basically held together with about 500 lbs of safety wire in all sizes. Many applications were in some pretty amazing locations that required rubber arms and fingers to reach. Try wiring up swashplate bolts some day. Safety wiring was something I did 100 times a day and a well dressed mechanic always had a pair of swaps in his back pocket. I never used a set of reversable swaps and don't think I missed them. The limited amout of reverse twisting is easy to accomplish by simply hand rotating the swaps.

RV's use very little safety wire and the added expense of reversable swaps is better used on your panel (IMPO).

Jekyll