Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I have to safety wire the trim tab hinge pin. I've looked in all my books and in the Van's instructions and can't find any information on the size and type of safety wire that should be used for different applications. I have some good instructions on how to safety wire.

What kind and size of wire should I use on the trim tab hinge pin?

I have two spools of safety wire: .041 and .032. I used a piece of the .041, trimmed the pig-tail down (after twisting), and bent it back where it wasn't going to hang-up on anything.

Typically .032" can be used most places on the RV with the exception of the prop which needs to be .041".

Typically .032" can be used most places on the RV with the exception of the prop which needs to be .041".

fyi. My Hartzell HC-C2YL-1BF manual says to use .032" safety wire on the bolts. I read that right out of the manual sitting in my lap. This is the prop for the O-320. Is there a reason we should be using bigger wire for this prop?

#$@#$@!!!!

No wonder that my plane came out a little heave. I use .041 instead of .032 on my prop.

Kent

I think most all safety wire is stainless steel. Something like 304. I got some at a local bolt fasener supply place called Tacoma Screw, it said aircraft on the can. I have an application around a prop governor that needs .020 wire some pretty small holes in screws.