rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I searched the forum and found lots of posts about safety wiring, but nothing on what pliers to purchase. I have never done anything other than crude safety wiring on a boat motor. I have watched youtube videos and read how, so I think I understand how - but not what pliers to get.

there are some around $25 and some about $80. the $80 are reversible - is that a big deal? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks

I have two pair, different sizes.

I prefer the smaller one, as I can get into tighter spaces with it.

I searched the forum and found lots of posts about safety wiring, but nothing on what pliers to purchase. I have never done anything other than crude safety wiring on a boat motor. I have watched youtube videos and read how, so I think I understand how - but not what pliers to get.

there are some around $25 and some about $80. the $80 are reversible - is that a big deal? Is it worth the extra money? Thanks

Expensive tools are nearly always very nice tools, but for occasional, non-professional use something like the following will work:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-safety-wire-twister-45340.html

I've used the el cheap pliers for years and nothing has ever fallen off the planes. ;)

Thanks

Thanks guys. Im all for saving $ when it is Ok to do. HB is great for some of the tools that are not used too often or do not need to be precision.

I have had good luck with their cheap 3" water pumps from China. Other than the threads on the hose connections not being anything available in the US, they work great. I have 2 Honda pumps - costing 4 times as much and 4 HF pumps. The Hondas are not even close to as easy to prime and start. I have had them in service for irrigation for 4 years with no problems at all. Start on first pull each year and run 4-6 hours a day. Not bad for $300.

I have the cheap ones and also a $100 Milbar that is reversible. After using the Milbar reversible ones, I highly recommend them over the CHEAP ones. The smaller of the two sizes is what I like.

You only get what you pay for.

Ditto on the Milbar, and get an older one if you can find one. I prefer the older version of the latching assembly.

Reversing is not necessary.

Dave

I bought the Harbour Freight and, after a while threw them out and bought the Millbar (6" reversible).
I'm happy with the Millbar.

We've got three pairs of pliers in our safety wire basket - two cheap ones I've had for years, and the more expensive reversibles (which Louise brought to the relationship). The only ones I grab now are the reversibles - the latch is easier to use, and it is nice to pick the correct direction for what you're doing.

Paul

I've got both the small and regular size ones from Harbor Freight.

The HF cheapies might get the job done, but there sure have been a lot of times that I've seriously wished I had a pair of nice 6" reversible ones.

Someday, I'll spring for some good ones.

EDIT: Just noticed that Avery has the 6" reversible on sale right now for $70. Rats! If only I wasn't pinching my pennies for Oshkosh right now. :(

Last edited:
I have the 6" cheapies from HF ....

...and they're worthless. The jaw lock/clamp will NOT work as intended. Don't waste your $$ there.

Gotta say, the whole time I worked the flightline in the AF, if I was using the small safety wire (.20, I think), I simply twisted by hand rather than break the wire several times with the pliers. Any of the bigger stuff (.32) I went ahead and used the pliers. We had Snap-On my whole career, and even those didn't last long.

Gotta say, the whole time I worked the flightline in the AF, if I was using the small safety wire (.20, I think), I simply twisted by hand rather than break the wire several times with the pliers. Any of the bigger stuff (.32) I went ahead and used the pliers. We had Snap-On my whole career, and even those didn't last long.

If you go to A&P School, they will teach you and make you do it by hand before they will let you use the pliers. For those that do not know how to do it by hand, the wires are 45 degrees out from center and 90 degrees apart from each other. Just keep twisting with the 90 degree separation between ends and it turns out (once you learn how to do it) as if you used safety wire pliers.
(It looks kind of link this)
.|
/ \

I Applaud

Those of you who suggested a 'specific name brand and size ' to the original poster. I buy the best tools that I can afford and have never been disappointed when I bought 'better than HF". When I recently asked the group for 'specific' info on a bench grinder, only one person answered my question with info that I asked for. :( Flame me if you have to.:(

No flame from me.

However, I personally enjoy the range of responses to all the questions. I learn a great deal about lots of things I didn't ask about or think I was going to learn when I looked at a thread. I would sure hate to discourage the types of responses that show up here because I try to stay hungry for all info related to building, flying, life, etc. etc. It's all good.
Just My Humble Opinion, of course.

Gary - I love your drawing!

I have tied miles of rebar wire using the hand twist and the mechanical twister. I always go back to regular tie wire pliers.

How many places in the build are safety wires used? 10? 50? 100? To me that will make a difference in the quality I purchase - as long as I am not putting my safety at risk because of a poor quality tool.

I do appreciate the responses and that there are specific recommendations. Thanks.

The wire cutters on the Milbar are superior to the other wire cutters in my toolbox.

Duckbill pliers are the most common accessory tool I've used with the safety wire pliers. I regard them as a must-have. Look for one with thin tips. These are different than needle-nose pliers and worth having by themselves.

These can twist the safety wire pretty effectively all by themselves but it's slow. I frequently start the twist with them to make sure it's snug, then finish the twist with the Milbar, then bend the end over with the duckbills.

Dave

I use some twisters from Chief, and they grab and twist okay, but I don't use them for cutting, which they don't do so well.

Right On Bob!

I've been wondering which safety wire twister to but for some time (I have to finish a house remodel before starting my RV). This discussion with specific recommendations have made it easy to decide on the Milbar 6" tool. Ordered it tnight - thanks for the discussion and recommendations.:cool:

I started off with el cheapo safety wire pliers and finally upgraded to the Milbar. As others have noted, you get what you pay for. The Milbar tool is hugely superior. I like the reversible action, and also the Milbar tool grips onto the cut-off wire so that it doesn't fall down into inaccesible places and get lost. Wire twisters are not just a construction tool....they're an ongoing maintenence tool so paying a little bit more makes sense to me.

Last edited: