RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am trying for find a place for the trim controller which is a fairly large box. I am looking for ideas, where have you put yours? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

You're right, it is a pretty darn big box. At least it's light!

I'm probably going to attach mine to one of the seat ribs, aft of the stick a ways. Close to the trim wires that way.

mcb

Indicator wires

There's a picture of my -8 installation on TCW TECH's web site, along with my Intelligent Flap Controller:

http://www.tcwtech.com/aviation-testimonials.htm

Thanks that is sort of where I see the controller needing to go due to the length of the harness. One question, I need to get the 3 wires that run the indicator up to the instrument panel, how did you deal with this, the harness does not take these wires into the plan. I bought the Ray Allen 5 wire cable, can I run that to the instrument panel and then attach the 5 wires to a terminal block then hook the two elevator wires to the Trim System and the indicator wires to my Dynon EFIS/EMS? The instruction call for a 2 amps fuse but I don't know if splicing 26 AWG wire to 22 AWG wire is OK, I guess you do anyway since the servo has 26 AWG coming out of it. How did you run the indicator wires, did you just run 3 x 22 AWG wires to your indicator?

Thanks

Put my TCW........

under the crossmember which supports the seat backs. used velcro to mount, ran the wires down the vertical support to the front. worked great. At least on a 6,7 or 9.

One question, I need to get the 3 wires that run the indicator up to the instrument panel, how did you deal with this, the harness does not take these wires into the plan.

I used terminal blocks throughout the airplane, including under the floor boards as well as on the bulkhead behind the instrument panel. What I did was run the wires from the Dynon D120 wire harness back to a terminal block under the floor boards, and then the indicator wires from the Ray Allen servos to the terminal blocks, for both elevator and aileron trim. The trim indicators on my Dynon D100 and D120 work really well.

Ray Allen Cable

I used terminal blocks throughout the airplane, including under the floor boards as well as on the bulkhead behind the instrument panel. What I did was run the wires from the Dynon D120 wire harness back to a terminal block under the floor boards, and then the indicator wires from the Ray Allen servos to the terminal blocks, for both elevator and aileron trim. The trim indicators on my Dynon D100 and D120 work really well.

Jim,

So did you not use the 5 wire Ray Allen Cable (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/wc2wire.php)? I was thinking of running the 5 wire cable to a terminal block then I would make the pairings for the Safety Trim and EFIS indicator at the terminal block. I think this would make the lightest use of wire. Its just that the individual wires in the Ray Allen cable are 26 AWG.

Jim,

So did you not use the 5 wire Ray Allen Cable (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/wc2wire.php)? I was thinking of running the 5 wire cable to a terminal block then I would make the pairings for the Safety Trim and EFIS indicator at the terminal block. I think this would make the lightest use of wire. Its just that the individual wires in the Ray Allen cable are 26 AWG.

Nope, I used Mil spec 5 conductor shielded wire from the elevator to a terminal block mounted under the floor boards between the Pilot and CP. I had the same thought as you - the Ray Allen wire is pretty flimsy @ 26 ga., plus I wanted shielded. That was because originally I was going to use Ray Allen indicators which I have read can be susceptible to interference from radio transmissions, which the shielded would prevent. After the wire was run I decided to go with Dynon stuff and use their indicators built in to the EMS D-120. I think the wires in my 5 conductor shielded is 22 ga. This wire is somewhat hard to find. I got mine on eBay.

Nope, I used Mil spec 5 conductor shielded wire from the elevator to a terminal block mounted under the floor boards between the Pilot and CP. I had the same thought as you - the Ray Allen wire is pretty flimsy @ 26 ga., plus I wanted shielded. That was because originally I was going to use Ray Allen indicators which I have read can be susceptible to interference from radio transmissions, which the shielded would prevent. After the wire was run I decided to go with Dynon stuff and use their indicators built in to the EMS D-120. I think the wires in my 5 conductor shielded is 22 ga. This wire is somewhat hard to find. I got mine on eBay.

Hmm, I never thought to shield the wires the Ray Allen cable is twisted so I guess that accomplishes the same thing. The install in instructions don't mention shielded wire.

I have heard that sometimes the Ray Allen trim indicators will go bonkers when transmitting on a radio, other installations and they seem to work fine. So just to be safe I decided to use shielded wire.