vic syracuse

Well Known Member
I thought I should let everyone know that yesterday during a preflight I noticed that the left trim tab had a little more slop in it than usual. I took off the trim cable access cover plate, and it came completely off, meaning the nut was broken from the wd-415 weldment. I know we have talked in the past about that particular piece not looking quite sturdy enough, and right now that looks to be the case. I have a little over 320 hours on the airplane. I did not notice it on my post flight Sunday, but on my preflight prior to my commute home yesterday.
Talk about a miracle, though, and the advantages of the RV community. I live at Mallard's Landing in Georgia, and so does Aaron Sims, another RV-10 builder who is not flying yet. Guess who's parts I got to borrow? :)
So, I am replacing both mine and Aarons with the parts from Dave at Rivethead-aero.com. Ordered them and 4 new cover plates from Van;s last night. I would recommend to those of you who are flying that you check these regularly.
Now, for my opinion on the actual safety if a failure occurs? I think the trim cables are pretty stiff. I did go ahead and make the 15 minute flight home with no problem. If both of them broke, we might have a different story, but that's only conjecture.

Here's the link for the parts:

http://www.rivethead-aero.com/rv10_005.htm

Vic

FWIW - Rivethead's WD-415

I found that someone else recommended these on their website also, so for the $52 (Canadian), I ordered them right away. Took a couple weeks to get in, but they sure look sharp. Can't wait to get to that part of the build to put them in.

I bought all of Dave's product for the -10

and they're great! The part in question is so much better than the Vans part is silly. He has several others like it that are just as good. Highly recommended.

Can I verify the Web Link?

Hi gents,

Can you verify the web link? I may not be digging deep enough, but I don't seem to be able to find the Rv-10 parts.

Pete James (Iowa)

Rivethead-aero

I just tried it, too, and you're right---it's not working. I did a cut and paste on the link when I sent the email on Saturday, so it should be correct. Let's give it a while and see if the web site comes back up.

Vic

Rivethead-aero

I just tried it, too, and you're right---it's not working. I did a cut and paste on the link when I sent the email on Saturday, so it should be correct. Let's give it a while and see if the web site comes back up. I got a notice that the registration had expired.

Vic

Check to see if the square that rivets to the cover is made of stainless or not. I have seen a few that the base was ferris steel and the nut was stainless. One that was made with unlike metals broke on installation.

Last edited:
Van's just released an SB to replace all of the old 415's. Anything shipped after Sept. 06 has the new parts.

I bought one bracket for my 9A, got it today and it looks great. They also engraved my fuel caps and did a great job for half the price of that other guy.

Customer Service is Great!

In case anybody is wondering, the customer service is excellent. I received my pair all mangled in the mail - looked like the post office ran over them in a truck. Called him up and he sent me out a free replacement pair in no time.