Jeff A

Well Known Member
Hello everyone-

I am installing SafeAir static ports in my RV-8. I have searched for this question, with no clear answers. After drilling the fuselage skin and temporarily installing the ports from the inside, they extend from the outside of the skin by .053-.055". Is this excessive? Should I file them down to flush, almost flush, domed? How much should be left to compensate for paint? Anyone who can offer input and/or real experience with these ports? Help is always appreciated.

Hello everyone-

I am installing SafeAir static ports in my RV-8. I have searched for this question, with no clear answers. After drilling the fuselage skin and temporarily installing the ports from the inside, they extend from the outside of the skin by .053-.055". Is this excessive? Should I file them down to flush, almost flush, domed? How much should be left to compensate for paint? Anyone who can offer input and/or real experience with these ports? Help is always appreciated.

No, don't do anything. Stick a toothpick in the opening and paint. The more flush it is, the more prone it will be to being off by a couple knots. Another company redesigned their static ports because of this issue. They found the dome was advantageous to getting a more accurate reading.

PM or email me if you want more details.

bob

Or you can surface mount them, as I did:

This was done after reading how the flush mounted ones are not very accurate. Besides, exactly how many knots could I lose by mounting them the way I did?