ron sterba

Well Known Member
Iam ready to install my Static ports from Safeair1 and the AOA tubing and was wondering if anyone has pictures of the installation in the their RV9A QB?
Thanks, Ron In Oregon

Tomorrow

I will take a few pics and post tomorrow. If you are doing the dynon skyview, its kind of a pain. The two static lines up to the top, over to the adahrs, the pitot and aoa from the wing root. The pain was that I had the seat floors and baggage floors riveted in and didnt want the plastic lines running up the sides where elbows etc would hit it. Pm me if you want specific pics and I will do what I can. I believe my install is pretty good.

I will take a few pics and post tomorrow. If you are doing the dynon skyview, its kind of a pain. The two static lines up to the top, over to the adahrs, the pitot and aoa from the wing root. The pain was that I had the seat floors and baggage floors riveted in and didnt want the plastic lines running up the sides where elbows etc would hit it. Pm me if you want specific pics and I will do what I can. I believe my install is pretty good.

I'm in the same boat as Rick... I ended up pulling the floors out and installing conduit for routing the pitot and AOA lines behind the baggage bulkhead. I'm planning backup ASI and ALT so the static line splits to the ADAHRS, which is behind the bulkhead up high, and continues forward along the fuse longeron. The pitot line will split just inside the fuse at the wing root. I've got some photos of the conduit install and I'm working on the final routing to the ADAHRS. I

Thanks Nate
Rick Woodall and you have both responded and I say thanks. Like you say most of us are in the same boat on airplane construction. I got to look at a few pictues on your site and its helpful. I guess most of us fear is drilling a hole that might jeopardized the the integrity of the airframe! Or even worse is cause a failure in a system on the panel because its wires or tubing is to low or high or to short,whatever it may be. I can believe Tony from SAFEAIR1 answered my emails Sunday (yesterday) about the Static kit. Thats real customer satisfaction! Here my question to you. on the static port from SAFEAIR1 its a 1" disk. However in the dwg26 I believe from VANS it says to locate the hole for the static port 11/16" forward of the verticle row of rivets on the bulkhead location. Because of the flange on the inside bulkhead that disk has to be moved forward about a half inch. Do you know if that new location is going to make any difference? Ron In Oregon 9A QB

Last edited:
I don't think 1/2 inch is going to make a difference. I know there are SafeAir installations that have been relocated slightly that are accurate. The majority of errors come from the type of ports used. The old SafeAir ports mounted flush with the skin, and this was found to give inaccurate readings. The new style ports sit proud of the skin, just like the stock vans blind rivet setup, and are more accurate.

Nate I checked the SAFEAIR1 port proud and its .099 high off the disk face. With the skin of the fuselage at .030 then with the port installed it would leave the port about .070 proud of the fuselage skin, does that sound about right? RON IN OREGON

Nate.
Just got off the phone with Vans and that the installation sheet in their kit is for their port on the RV6A, you have to check the location measurements on the plans for the RV7 & 9. The plans call for a line 2" below the longeron row of rivets and 5/16" forward of the vertical row of rivets in the bulkhead. Vans suggests that the new static port should remain on the 2" line but as close to the recommended factory VAN location. So with the SAFEAIR1 static port it will be approx 1" from the row of rivets of the bulkhead which is 5/16" farther forward which where RICKWOODALL placed his and where I'll place mine today with all of your help. THANKS I'll mount the static port with proseal which seems the way to go. Again thanks any if any body has more pictures of the AOA tube runs or Static line runs in their cabin I'am open to all. OH when I spoke to VANS today about drillling holes in the F904(wind Spar Plate area) for passage of power lines or tubing or coax. Never drill holes on top of each other or any closer than 3X the diameter. Use a line projected along the centers of the Existing factory access holes for new hole locations. Try not to make holes any larger than needed and no larger than 3/4".