jthocker

Well Known Member
Getting ready to install the static ports from SafeAir and can't remember if folks have been having any issues with these.
I've always just used the standard pop rivet and have had good results, but I wanted to take advantage of the SafeAir quick release fittings for Dynon and other connections.
So the question is have there been any faulty airspeed readings with these ports.
Thanks

Short answer yes if you install them flush. They need to be raised from the skin to get accurate readings at the location Van speecifies.

I installed them and had airspeed low issues. Resolved (for the most part) by counterboring to accept the Van's pop rivet prosealed on there.

Many threads on the subject. Here's one

Scott
Thanks for the reply. The ports I have, have you drill a 1/4 hole that the port fits in from inside. That little protrusion is all you see from outside and it appears to me that it will stand proud of the skin more than the original pop rivet. Did SafeAir change there static ports to accomplish the "pop rivet"?

Surface Mount SA1 Static Ports

Because of the issues mentioned with flush mounthing the ports, I elected to surface mount the things.

Check the entry at the top of my fuselage page for pictures.

I mounted mine from the outside as well. I turned off the little protrusion on my lathe and surface muonted them. I did it not so much because I was worried about accuracy, but because I think they look better that way.

ptrotter said:
I mounted mine from the outside as well. I turned off the little protrusion on my lathe and surface muonted them. I did it not so much because I was worried about accuracy, but because I think they look better that way.
It will be interesting to see how accurate your static source is once you get flying. If they stick out too far, you could have the opposite error than if they were flush.

Static ports are one place where I would not sacrifice functionality for good looks.

jthocker said:
Getting ready to install the static ports from SafeAir and can't remember if folks have been having any issues with these.
I've always just used the standard pop rivet and have had good results, but I wanted to take advantage of the SafeAir quick release fittings for Dynon and other connections.
So the question is have there been any faulty airspeed readings with these ports.
Thanks

Some people have reported airspeed errors with the Safeair port (but not many). On the other hand builders have reported airspeed errors with every type of port (including the Vans pop rivet).

However I believe it is possible that Safeair might have modified their static port not that long back to allow for slightly more protrusion into the slipstream.

I have the Safeair 1 static ports and had airspeed errors (off ~6-7 knots in cruise). I what I did which has served me perfectly is, I cut the heads off of the Van's static ports (pop rivets) and pro-sealed them over top of the flush Safeair 1 port. My airspeed errors in cruise are now in the 2-4 knot range according to multi-direction speed runs with GPS and using an online calculator. That was close enough for me, I am happy, and still use the nice Safeair 1 fittings.

Scott
#90598 - N598SD Flying

Kevin,

I actually turned the disk down so that it is about the same thickness as a pop rivet head. We'll see what happens.

Safe Air Static Ports

I had also heard there was a problem. I called SafeAir and they sent me a new set of ports ( no charge) with a head which was higher than the original. This was six months ago. They have changed the design slightly.

Ron Kostus RV-7
N567RK - reserved,

Ron Kostus said:
I had also heard there was a problem. I called SafeAir and they sent me a new set of ports ( no charge) with a head which was higher than the original. This was six months ago. They have changed the design slightly.

Ron Kostus RV-7
N567RK - reserved,
That's interesting. About 9 mos. to a year ago I emailed Safeair concerned about this issue and they swore they had never heard of such a problem, and denied that it would exist, even though the reason I asked them was because significant errors had been reported on this forum a couple times already. Based on their assurances, I went ahead and installed what I purchased from them originally about 2 years ago. :( I guess only time will tell whether I will have any errors.

I did an extensive amount of testing/modifying/retesting using the flush mount Safeair static ports. I bought these ports primarily because of the secure connectors and I personally liked the looks of the flush mount on my 9a. Long story short (extensive details in prior threads) I found that a .040 spacer about .75 inches in diameter with rounded edges mounted to the side of the fuse over the flush port along with the head of Vans pop rivet bonded to that gave me a accuracy of +or- 1-2 kts at 160 kts cruise speed----verified with multiple gps runs using Kevin Hortons tas spread sheet. The spacer was drilled to accept the shank of the pop rivet. The pop rivet shank was trimmed off all but 1/16th so it was perfectly centered over port in the spacer. With the stock flush configuration I was reading about 7-9 kts low at cruise.

Cheers,
db

I see that this is an old post ( almost 2 yrs ).
Can anyone flying with the safeair static ports mounted on the inside of the fuse, tell me are you getting correct readings ? Im about to put mine in this weekend.

thanks

no issues

I bought a kit from SafeAir in Feb-08, and I think the static port was updated so that you won't end up with a flush port following the instructions. I did have to slightly trim a bulkhead flange because of a little interference. I'm flying, and the airspeed seems spot on.

Good luck.

I also noted the interference with the flange, would moving the port fwd about 1 inch cause any problems to the readings ?

Why even 1 inch? You only have to move the port forward about 0.25 inch to avoid the interference. That's what I did. I highly doubt that 0.25 inch forward would make any measurable difference in the readings, and Van's shares that opinion. But I'm not flying yet, so I can't say for sure.

I'm not flying yet but have fitted the ports from the inside. They protrude about 1/16 - 3/32. I seem to remember from threads I was reading at the time that the ports have been modified to prevent the error issue. I avoided priming the area and made sure that the c/s in the port flange was DEFINITELY deep enough to take the skin dimple to avoid any issue.

I have also used the pitot/AoA system and pitot mount - very happy with the product and support.

Hey, I get to provide a reply to my original post!

I can report now, that I have built and flown 2 planes with the new "protruding" SafeAir static ports, along with 2 other RV8's. 3 of the planes have only Dynon D180's and the other has a D180 and a Van's backup airspeed indicator. All airspeed indications have proven accurate both individually, and collectively when we all fly in formation and compare airspeeds. The Van's airseed indicator agrees with the Dynon also.

correction

I did have to slightly trim a bulkhead flange because of a little interference.

Failed memory. I didn't muck with the bulkhead flange. I filed the portion of the static port where it overlapped the bulkhead so that it would sit flush on the skin.

Here's a pic with the SafeAir static port installed.

DSC07538.sized.jpg

I just put my ports 0.25" fwd of the bulkhead flange. I guess I will see in a year or so if it works. I also only used 2 rivets, one on the top and bottom on each port. These are much better than the Vans static kit. :)

Avery?

Are these ports the same as what Avery sells? If so I did mount mine close to the port locations noted in the plans. I glued mine from the inside with structural (automotive) adhesive. Naturally I installed them flush on the outside. Filed the protrusion down. Not a good idea? I guess I will drill out the center hole and install the pop rivet from there. I will still keep the fitting attach on the back. Is the location that "critical" if you are off some dimensionally?

For an EFIS user, you're looking at a tolerance of 2-4%...about 2-6 knots (fuzzy math).

Bottom line, mounting mine flush, 'cause once you're witin that tolerance window, your chasing ghosts, IMO

Joe