SeanB

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to close the left wing and will install the SafeAir Pitot Mast. I've noticed many builders use a small piece of angle to integrate the mast to a neighboring rib for more stability.

I had to move this mast one rivet hole to the outboard side to center the flange. This negates the angle reinforcement idea since I'm now too far from the rib.

Any concerns if I just install the mast as-is for stability and possible skin cracking? Anyone else not using angle?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I installed it to the manufacturer's instructions. It is tied in to the spar flange and skin. No angle to any ribs. Seems to be very stable, but I'm not flying yet...

Just did this a couple of weeks ago. Without looking at anything I just proceeded to do the task and I was really concerned with it so, I added angle to the closest rib. My concern (maybe unfounded) was skin cracking from pressure caused by the air force on the tube. After I was done I looked at other builder sites and saw they did the same. I always do everything backwards first.

I added a brace across two ribs...this picture gives an idea (the yellow paint is brushed-on zinc chromate).

FP05052010A00004.jpg