ron sterba

Well Known Member
I am working on installing pitot in mast. With the Safe air kit came the AN 818 & 819 nut and sleeve. I flared the tube and then torqued according to 43.13 book par 9-30 which says to torque in inch pounds which I did at 35 inch pounds. .....Now comes the other end of the fitting which is a connector in brass coloring and is the connector that gets the plastic tubing installed in it. My question is what would the torque settings be for this other end? I used EZ LUBE for sealant starting at 2nd thread back from flare and then torqueing. Does the other fitting get taflon tape or pipe thread sealant or can i use the EZ LUBE starting at the 2nd thread back and would I torque to the same value?...... In the 43.13 book in par 9-30 it states about the sizes of the tubing being 16ths and my fitting is then a AN 3 but the other end of the fitting the threads measure .405" diameter which is a 7/16" wrench size for the nut.

Question is sealant? and torque setting?

Thanks Guys
Ron in Oregon

Not a Fluid Line

You are overthinking this. You want this air tight but there is no risk of leaking flammable fluid. The air in the tubes won't be moving much at all and will be under low pressure. Good and tight, with a Teflon sealant or similar should be fine. I wouldn't use Teflon tape for fear of blockage.

I used EZ LUBE for sealant starting at 2nd thread back from flare and then torqueing.

Please DO NOT use any thread sealant or lube on flared fittings. They are to be installed dry.

Thread sealant is to be used on TAPERED PIPE THREADS only. EZ-Turn and similar fuel lubes are not thread sealants, and perform poorly as such. Loctite 567, Titeseal, and several other products are marketed as pipe thread sealants and work great.

Thanks John and Kurt! Much appreciated. Ill torque them shortly and assemble. Getting pretty exciting. Just recieved from Fast Approach my Plug- N-lay circuit board to fasten in . Then all the harnesses from the Garmin radio and Dynon EFIS s, GPS, transponder and ADSB. Then its on to install the windscreen! WHOA!

Thanks Ron in Oregon RV9A