BillL

Well Known Member
CS prop - we go to a lot of trouble safety wiring the CS prop bolts, and for those with a Saber spacer behind it, there are no safety wires for those bolts.

Has anyone ever removed the prop to recheck the spacer bolt torque?

What do you do?

My prop spacer is, of course, safety wired and marked with torque seal. There has never been any evidence of movement of any kind, and I check it carefully every time I pull and retorque the prop, i.e every 100 hrs or less. My belief is the steel prop spacer is dimensionally stable and not likely to have a fastener loosen up. That is less the case with the Catto composite prop.
I'm thinking I will pull the spacer and retorque at 500hrs regardless.

Funny, I just did this last night. Removed the prop to inspect prop, bulkheads, spacer, lugs, etc for annual condition inspection. Checked torque on bolts attaching Saber spacer to engine flange. After checking that none of the bolts would rotate more, I even loosened some to check if they were over-torqued. All bolts were still within the proper range.

Thanks, Guys.

I have the 2.5" spacer and there is no provision for safety wire, but I assume the longer bolts will stay tight due to the longer stretch length. Assumptions are not enough, though, thus this data search.

It will go on the annual list. Should it be checked in Phase I also?

Thanks

Blue Loctite

Just installed a new Saber spacer and they state to use blue locTite on the retaining bolts