rtry9a

Well Known Member
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s110-1300

"`(2) [Struck out->]GENERAL AVIATION EXEMPTIONS[<-Struck out] EXEMPTION APPLICABILITY- A surcharge may not be assessed under this section for--

`(A) piston engined aircraft; or

`(B) turboprop
←→
or turboshaft
aircraft operating outside of controlled airspace."

Anyone know what the lawyers in DC mean by "controlled airspace"? The preamble/summary reads like they refer to Class A airspace (where the jets fly); they should probably include both A&B to include the airspace around big airports.

Like most of the congressional stuff Ive read, they use generalities that throws the babies out with the bathwater.:mad: The actual verbage will require fees at all (non-private) airports as I read it in spite of what the politicians say.

Uncontrolled airspace is not lawyer talk, it's a designation the FAA places on airspace below 700-1200 agl where IFR operations doesn't take place.

I suspect this exemption for turbine powered aircraft in uncontrolled airspace is to accomodate agricultural aircraft who are not using ATC services.

You guys need to know that business and charter aircraft are using a significant amount of ATC resources at large airports around the country. This bill is an attempt to get them to pay for their use of the system.

You guys need to know that business and charter aircraft are using a significant amount of ATC resources at large airports around the country. This bill is an attempt to get them to pay for their use of the system.

As they do now with every gallon of fuel they burn....

Power grab

As they do now with every gallon of fuel they burn....

Exactly! This is all a power (and money) grab by the airlines. The system isn't broken and there is no need to "fix" it.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Punctuation...

With all of the colored editing going on with that web page, it could be read two ways...

Bad for us...

`(B) turboprop or turboshaft aircraft;

operating outside of controlled airspace."

Good for us...

`(B) turboprop or turboshaft aircraft operating outside of controlled airspace."

Is the "controlled airspace" bit for turboprops, or for all aircraft??

gil in Tucson

Of course, the whole idea is screwed up.... wait until a Mode S mandate (like Europe) and then they can just link your Visa card directly to the billing computer...:eek:

with the line:
[Struck out->]GENERAL AVIATION EXEMPTIONS[<-Struck out] EXEMPTION APPLICABILITY

They're just re-naming "General Aviation Exemptions" to "Exemption Applicability", because they want to expand that section to not be limited to GA.

The very important part remaining is this:
-----------
A surcharge may not be assessed under this section for--

`(B) turboprop or turboshaft aircraft operating outside of controlled airspace.
------------

Which seems to be just an attempt to broaden the exemption to other turboprop/shaft powered planes that may not actually be flying in controlled airspace.

So in that particular passage, I don't see that the changes are to the negative for us. Now, that doesn't mean negatives aren't coming in some other way, but not that particular change.

Tim

So in that particular passage, I don't see that the changes are to the negative for us. Now, that doesn't mean negatives aren't coming in some other way, but not that particular change.
Tim

I think the EAA's stance on this issue has never been about us single pistons getting charged for anything immediately. In fact, unless I'm wrong (someone please correct me if I am), no one has suggested that single pistons pay fees.

The fear is that once the infrastructure is in place to assess and collect fees it will just require the stroke of a pen to make pistons pay fees too. That's certainly my concern.

Mine too, that's why I've sent numerous faxes, post-sent letter, and emails to my set of representatives every time AOPA says it's time. It's our job to make sure things go the way we want, and if it fails, some of it is on our own shoulders for not trying hard enough.

But, the last time I heard anything, we were up for our own set of fees....not for airspace use, but lots of new costs for registration, N-numbers, certificates, and things like that. At least many of them were one-time fees, which in the end probably needed to be upped anyway to some extent just to cover the cost.

Tim