Jconard

Well Known Member
I know others on this list are familiar with the 911's and I have an idea from working on those to fix the exploding ryton sump issue.

Brief Background:

Late 70's 911 cars had CIS fuel injection and would occaisionally backfire through the airbox, breaking it. The factory fix was a pop off valve, and the aftermarket provided owners with the option of a solid aluminum airbox.

This design shares a number of similarities, the "airbox" also formed the central plenum, as the six intake runners connected to the airbox. In addition, the engine compartment heat could be high, especially on cars with thermal reactors. This has become regarded as a permanent and perfectly effective solution.

My thought was that perhaps a similar blow off valve would allow backfire pressure to be released without blowing the sump.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_pop_off_valve/911_pop_off_valve.htm

The above link shows the valve, and a brief description of how it is installed in a 911 with CIS injection.

Thoughts...wonder why superior has not considered this.

Jconard--

This is brilliant. I have been following the Ryton sump issue, and am very familiar with old 911s, but hadn't connected those dots. D'oh!

My last 911 resto was a 1972 T with the kugelfisher injection and the oil tank door on the passenger rear fender. It got stolen, and the thieves pumped gas into the oil tank.....

I do not have a ryton sump, but I like the idea of it, and hope that they can make it a go.

I can't afford my car projects anymore, now that I am working on a plane, but I love the old 911's...light, simple, and a blast to drive. I wanted to make a 2.7 RS replica engine with the E cams, and recalibrated mechanical injection, maybe slide valves, and of course stuff it into a 914 (My first Porsche) but alas, wife, mortgage, and airplanes.

If anyone has a connection to superior, perhaps they could forward this idea to them.

When the problem was first discovered, I discussed the possibility of a pop off valve solution with Superior and they didn't like the idea. They considered a redesign a better fix. The possibility of a pop off valve sure seemed like it might work to me.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk.?

Well,

Hope they find a fix. Of course Porsche, and the whole staff at the Weissach center came up with two options...aluminum or pop off. I guess that composites, while strong, are a bit more "Brittle" than metals.

Mahlon, are you guys going to be selling the ECI line? Any experience with their new Fuel Injection?

We do sell the ECI line now. Many of the TMX series of engines use either all or some ECI parts. We did the first Lightweight IO-360. I have one in stock on the shelf, ready to go. The Lightweight fuel injection system worked well and it met FF requirements for all aspects of operation. The lightweight IO-360 is a nice engine but it does require a fuel return line to the tanks and it doesn't quite fit as far as intake and exhaust systems go, as compared to the standard forward facing FI engines. So some cowl, airbox and exhaust rework might is necessary for retrofit or new installation.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Mahlon,

Just wondering, how much weight is saved with the lightweight 360? Any field experience with them?

I came across Superior's newly redesigned Ryton sump/intake plenum at OSH... I didn't get a chance to talk to them about it much but I think the thing in the top middle (of the pic) is something like the valve you mention (suggest).

100_2092.jpg

Last edited:
RV7Factory said:
I came across Superior's newly redesigned Ryton sump/intake plenum at OSH... I didn't get a chance to talk to them about it much but I think the thing in the top middle (of the pic) is something like the valve you mention (suggest).

I was at Osh too and Bill Petersen told me the new sump would have a pop-off valve and probably be available ahead of the fall promise date. Note the oil sump in the above pic is now aluminum and the cold air intake is still Ryton. Bill said the old and new sump would weigh about the same, although I don't see how.

About Bill's off-field landing in the company RV, he said it was an oil line failure.

N112B said:
Note the oil sump in the above pic is now aluminum and the cold air intake is still Ryton. Bill said the old and new sump would weigh about the same, although I don't see how.
The oil sump they had on site (pictured) wasn't aluminum but some sort of plastic painted to look like metal. I don't know if they intended to imply that the sump will eventually be Al, but maybe the new oil sump will be Ryton too. That could be how they will keep the weight down. A guess on my part. Did they say it would be Aluminum? Just curious.

Last edited:
Holy cow... "Alumimumn"?!?! I can spell!!! :D

Thanks for the info Bob. That probably explains why they painted it to look like Al.