Vmax

I'm at the point where I need to decide on an engine. Although an O-360 would be great, I have a friend selling a low time O-320-E2D (150hp) at a price that is real hard to pass. Would anyone with an O-320 give me some performance numbers and whether they regret not getting the O-360. I'm building an RV-7 and the airplane will be based at sea level.

Thanks

Let your billfold be the guideline. In my case (I'm based at 750' MSL), the only time I miss the extra 20 HP is on climb-out on hot days at gross weight.

Van's performance numbers are correct - the extra 20 hp gain you a single digit speed increase and a couple of hundred FPM of climb rate at gross. Proportionately more if you're flying under gross.

One thing to consider is resale. There are people out there who are convinced that without at least 180 hp, your RV will be a slug. They are wrong, but those biases do show up when/if you go to sell the airplane.

With the -E2D you will be limited to Fixed Pitch prop, or ground adjustable. The crank is solid, and won't work with Constant Speed props.

Other than that, they are great engines, and the low compression enables them to run on autofuel easily.

My RV6 has 150hp O320. I'm flying off a 2200' grass strip and notice the lower hp on hot days with heavy pax. Once I'm up and going, she performs fine. I'm getting a TAS of 190mph at 8500', burning 7.6 gph with fixed pitch wooden prop. I love the economy. Would like the 180 hp when doing acro though. My buddy has an RV7A with 180 hp fixed pitch metal prop and cruises 10mph faster burning about 9gph. You can always dial back the throttle though, and he gets good fuel economy when he flies off my wing.

I have an E2D in my 6A turning a Catto 3 blade. As was stated earlier I only notice a "need for speed" on hot days with a pax. Keep the rest of the airplane light and you will have a great flying airplane. If you feel a need to climb with your hair on fire, then it is not the engine for you. Different strokes for different folks.

One thing to watch for. Many E2D's did not come with a fuel pump.

150hp wont fly...

after reading all these posts about horsepower, I'm worried that my 150HP -9A with a wooden prop will be incapable of flight.

I should know the truth about this in approximately 1 month.

I'll report back.

Dave
-9A finishing up

0320/0360

If its a budget issue no advice is needed. If its not, stay with the 0360, you will not regret the decision, you may regret the 0320 but you understand opinions.

Pat

O-320 in RV-8A

We have the O-320 H2AD in the RV-8A and it performs great, even with two "fatties" on board. HOWEVER, if I were building or buying, I would want the extra horsepower available that an O-360 would provide. Fuel economy is a matter of power setting, but horsepower can't be increased, even when you need it.

Ron Simonton

I just bought a 150 HP E2A mid time takeout from a cherokee with tornado damage from a friend of mine who is shop owner. New paint, gaskets, mags.....couldn't say no for 5.5K. I let my pocketbook be my guide. I don't think I'd have $23K more fun with a few extra HP.....just depends on how deep your pockets go! Good engines.....

I purchaed a high time narrow deck 320 for $2,600 15-years ago for my RV-6. I rebuilt it to new spec and converted it to constant speed prop operation. I have fown it over 2,300 hours without any issues and added new cylinders around 2,100 hours.

The RV-6 flys great with an O-320 when you fly single ship. If you have a chance to fly with another airplane that has a 360 or fly an airplane with a 360, you will end up wishing you had the 360.

After almost 13-years of flying my RV, I want a 360. I have a 360 core sitting in my hangar to rebuild. Wish I spent the extra money up front and put the 360 in from the begining.

I have an o320-d2a on the front of my -7, so that gives me ~160HP and I'm pretty much based sea level.

I haven't had any issues with power (or lack of), the problem I have had is the CoG is quite aft, so 2-up and with bags I cna be out the back end of the envelope. A bigger/heavier engine would have helped that