Jordan17

Hey everybody,

I am a college student and have been assigned to study an internal supply chain with a product of my choosing. What a great time to incorporate airplanes into school, better yet, a RV! I wanted to see if you guys have some information that would be valuable. I have attached the question below. If possible I would like to know where Van's gets their metal, rivets, things of that nature. The goal is to trace a product back to its origin of suppliers.

A. Who are the people in the internal supply chain
(the people who produce, distribute, and
purchase the items for retailers)

B. Who are the people external to the supply chain
(customers and suppliers)

C. Are there any hidden costs that may not be
accounted for in the overall price of the product?

Thanks a lot!

-Jordan

Come On Jordan, we can't do all your homework for you...

Try answering those questions to the best of your ability and research, and we'll try to help you fill in the gaps. Or at least point you in the right direction.

I feared that response after I posted the question. I actually have done some research. I called Vans and they said the sheet metal is supplied from The Pacific Metal company. I am not sure which location, but after looking on their website I would assume that it would come from one of the plants near Oregon. He also told me that they do most of the fiberglass work in Oregon. The canopies were said to come from Ohio. I figure that one of the main suppliers that builders rely on is Aircraft Spruce. I want to make my focus on how culturally diverse each airplane is due to the fact each part comes from a different supplying area. I was told that Roadway, FedEx, and UPS were the main shipping companies. I was hoping for some input on key parts that I may be overlooking that all builders rely on.

Last edited:
Some more inputs

Don't forget the overseas connection with the quick built option, many propeller companies, USPS, the whole firewall forward hardware collection of hardware, antennas, avionics, paint, software services, tools, facilities, etc. Maybe you could post a list and accept point inputs rather than ask for "the world" from all responders?

Bob Axsom

Here is a list of the main components I thought were important. I am trying to just cover the wide overview. If you have any other suggestions to add that would be great.

Comm/Nav-Garmin, Kansas City, Kansas

Avionics- TruTrak, Springdale, AR

Tires- Goodyear Kingman, Arizona

Paint- PTI Products Techiques, Inc, California

Rivets- California Rivet, Silverton, OR

Seats and seatbelt- Oregan Aero, Scappoose, Oregon

Lights- AeroFlash, Chicago, IL

Brakes- Cleveland Avon, OH

Engine- Lycoming

Propeller- Hartzell Piqua, Ohio

There are various parts supplied by several different machine shops in Oregon, like the tapered spar bars, nose wheel casters and gear legs and more. I know several of the shops but that's up to Van's to devulge that info.

I built the gas cap die cast mold if that helps!