ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
I'm still trying to get a handle on the best mounting location for my camera to get a good view but be, at least relatively, vibration free. I haven't perfected it yet, but here is the latest attempt. How many of you knew that an RV-8 could fly slow enough to keep down with a -12?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LArWy11pQXo

"Where's the kaboom?"

I kept wanting it to end with a massive surge of acceleration from the -8 as the pilot firewalled the throttle and streaked off towards the horizon.

Details of the mount?

Say what?

I'm still trying to get a handle on the best mounting location for my camera to get a good view but be, at least relatively, vibration free. I haven't perfected it yet, but here is the latest attempt. How many of you knew that an RV-8 could fly slow enough to keep down with a -12?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LArWy11pQXo

"Keep down with a -12??"

Do you mean that it can fly as slow, or slow down to 120 MPH? That's not a problem but if the -12 slowed down to minimum slow flight speed, the -8 would fall out of the sky.

Best,

Coming Soon

I kept wanting it to end with a massive surge of acceleration from the -8 as the pilot firewalled the throttle and streaked off towards the horizon.

Details of the mount?

Actually, he did blast off, but not until a few minutes after that video was completed. The sad thing is that he pulled out of sight very quickly and when we landed for lunch he told me he wasn't even using full power to pull away. But, I won when we compared fuel receipts!

I neglected to photographically document the mounting positions I have tried, but will do so this weekend. In short, I first tried a clamp mount on the rear frame of the canopy and that worked OK, except for my head in the pictures all the time (this is what I used in the first video I posted).

Next I tried the suction mount made by Drift. That allowed me to put the camera right where I want it, but unfortunately the canopy moves around too much in flight to get good clear video.

Lastly I tried the same clamp mount as in the first attempt, only clamped to the roll bar instead of the canopy. This provided a better amount of rigidity and gave better results. That is where it was in the video in this post.

Beautiful weather that day!

Was that you I followed into Hoquiam last Saturday for a touch and go in a spam can? I had dropped my son off at Sanderson for his first skydive, and buzzed out to the coast to enjoy the absolutely crystal clear day that you show in the video. Visibility had to be 100 miles or more that day. I gotta get that -9A done ASAP!

Here is a picture of my son's "first flight". Three volcanos are visible on the horizon, Rainier, Hood, and St Helens.

IMG_6635.JPG

Last edited: