billpilot1

Well It's winter and I have not been up in the cold yet. Now there is no provisions for a defroster in my RV7a and I'm wondering if it is a problem. Any advice or experience with window fogging up! Thanks
Waiting till it get above freezing to try it!!!

My six fogs for a few minutes and then clears up. Usually while I'm taxiing, so I've been perfectly happy using a cloth.

Its bloody cold here

The temp on todays flight was -30 celcius. I don't have a defroster. Any frost accumulated on the ground seems to disappear very quickly in flight. Some tricks I use, keep slider cracked open until ready to taxi to runway, open eyeball vents. I never clean the windshield with a rag because I always find it smeared after that. So far so good.

A defroster is not really neccesary, even in really cold wx (glad to see another Cheesehead RVer.) When flying solo I rarely get any sort of canopy moisture on the ground. When flying with a pax I do get some, probably do to all the jaw-jacking we are doing. I find that just holding the tip-up open for 10 seconds or so clears the canopy. This is all on the ground. Once airborn, I've never had any fogging problems, even down in the 0deg F range, which is all too common around here as of late.

Defrost

I put a couple of computer fans above the instrument panel to blow hot air from under the panel up onto the window. See two round grills between my two GPS antennas.
annaphilipinrv6aop7.jpg

They really do not work, nor do they need to, as I may get a touch of fog when first get in the plane and start but it always goes away as soon as I taxi out (especially if it is sunny out).

I do use the fans in the summer to pull air through the radio stack to help keep them cool. Not sure that does much but hope it increases their reliability.

Last edited: