LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
My wife and I are having a terrific time playing tourist

in San Francisco for our 25th anniversary. Yesterday we rode the bikes across the Golden Gate bridge and while on the other side, we noticed an RV circling around the northern end. I just assumed all of our friends got together for an RV formation flyby.:p anyway, was that anyone here?

I saw a helicopter fly under the bridge. maybe that's common, but I thought it was cool. But I couldn't figure out how that wouldn't violate a few FARs. Lots of people gathered....1500 feet separation required etc.

I saw a helicopter fly under the bridge. maybe that's common, but I thought it was cool. But I couldn't figure out how that wouldn't violate a few FARs. Lots of people gathered....1500 feet separation required etc.

I lived in SF for years and did the "bay tour" (that's what you tell ATC on initial contact and they'll let you loose under SF class B) several times in pipers and cessna's. Great views from above.

I would bet dollars to donuts that what you saw was a coast guard chopper. They fly under the bridge all the time.

Last edited:
I lived in SF for years and did the "bay tour" (that's what you tell ATC on initial contact and they'll let you loose under SF class B) several times in pipers and cessna's. Great views from above.

I would bet dollars to donuts that what you saw was a coast guard chopper. They fly under the bridge all the time.

Actually, sightseeing helicopters fly under it all the time too. I drive over that bridge almost every day and see this quite often.

-Geoff

When giving baytours I always make a point of circling the gate a few times:

145194346_fe91a3a4db.jpg

link

However, not last Sunday - for willing passengers I tend to go south of Half Moon Bay and acro it up and I had someone who was willing ;) (Besides - all the socal fires made everything real hazy)

Flew over GG Bridge Sunday

Actually, I flew my wife down to Half Moon Bay for her birthday yesterday. First time over the Gate since doing it in a KC-10 many years ago with some VIPs. We went down at 2500 MSL and back about 2000'. A bit hazy, but absolutely beautiful. I had to slow down to follow a Cardinal also going into HAF, but it worked out since I just played follow the leader to the airport for my first time! :)

Sebastian Trost
RV-7A
Cameron Park, CA (O61)

N5lP is right. "Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface."

Thats our GOLDEN RULE

Boy, I wish they'd let planes fly under that bridge. I sure don't see much difference between a helicopter zipping under it and an RV where hazards are concerned.

I agree. BUT technically, a helicopter can do a "Quick Stop" and transition into a hover before hitting something. At least that is the theory, there are a lot of factors in that equation.

Guess I'll have to leave it to Flight Simulator. They had Red Bull races out here last year, right? did they fly under for those? I know in Europe they get to fly under a few of the big bridges for the RB races. Must've been fun to watch.

Yup, MS Flight Sim only in our RVs for under-the-bridge work. (It would be fun though!) Fun place to tour around.

I wasn't there last weekend, but my wife took this from our -6 on the way back from a Napa weekend in April:

napa_20070408_124_sm.jpg

Guess I'll have to leave it to Flight Simulator. They had Red Bull races out here last year, right? did they fly under for those? I know in Europe they get to fly under a few of the big bridges for the RB races. Must've been fun to watch.

Nope. The swoop down from about 1500' over the GG. They turn their smoke on before they dive so you can see them.

Man, I'll tell you what, you've got a gorgeous area here. We're leaving today. Had a very good time and will add it to my list of "places to go with my RV someday".