mikehoover

Well Known Member
Anyone using RVBits intersection fairings on their -A model have satisfactory success for installing them? It seems there is not a lot of room to work with on the inboard side because of the steel plate on the gear weldment. I found an aft screw location with no problem just aft of the 904 center section in the outboard seat bay. Ideas? Thanks!

Mike, you are right, it's pretty tough forward of the weldment. I had to put the fairings as forward as possible, then managed to get a clickbond nutplate installed close to the forward edge of the weldment, and another on the rear flange of the spar carry through. I also put a third (regular nut plate) into the wing to fuse gap filler strip. The farings fit nice and tight and no issues so far. Sorry, no pictures, when I got that far I was into finishing and not taking pictures;)

Yes

Just did this last night. The front fastener is close. I just "eyeballed" everything up and ran a drill up through the floor and happened to miss the other plates in the area. It would be tough to rivet a plate nut there so I too used a clickbond fastener. (Had some leftover from my wingtips, I've used several other places as well). My upper fairings have two fasteners, one front and one back. Probably need to add one two squeeze the two halves together.

I used a rivnut for those upper gear leg fairings on my last RV7A build, they held up fine for the 7 years I flew it. HF sells a cheap rivnut gun, but don't use the HF rivnuts provided, buy the ones from spruce with the key on them.