jherzog

Does anyone know offhand what the maximum flap extension position is on an RV9? On the one that I purchased, the flap position indicator on the Dynon EMS shows 0, 5, 10, and 15 degrees as the electric flaps are moved through their various settings. I have a hard time believing maximum flaps is only 15 degrees.
Thanks,
Jordan

I get 32 degrees on my -9A. Section 15 of the manual claims 32-27 as the normal range for a 9, but I never found anyone who gets close to the high end of that.

Easy to measure using a level app on your phone.

I get 7.5, 15 and 30 for flaps full. At 30 she flies at 50 mph with 2 on board and an occasional light buffet.
danny

Does anyone know offhand what the maximum flap extension position is on an RV9? On the one that I purchased, the flap position indicator on the Dynon EMS shows 0, 5, 10, and 15 degrees as the electric flaps are moved through their various settings. I have a hard time believing maximum flaps is only 15 degrees.
Thanks,
Jordan
Measured mine with a digital level and got exactly 30 at max extension.

It sounds like you have an unnecessary number of stops along the way from retracted to full flaps. More typical is "Up, quarter flaps, half flaps and full flaps", which is pretty much what Danny is describing above. You may want to check what positioner your flaps are using for feedback to stop at each of those degree call-outs. Or do the flaps move down only when the switch is depressed and the EFIS only has those degree labels on the display?

It sounds like you have an unnecessary number of stops along the way from retracted to full flaps. More typical is "Up, quarter flaps, half flaps and full flaps", which is pretty much what Danny is describing above. You may want to check what positioner your flaps are using for feedback to stop at each of those degree call-outs. Or do the flaps move down only when the switch is depressed and the EFIS only has those degree labels on the display?
Thanks. It looks like I have the same quantity of flap positions that you are describing: up, and 3 progressive down settings. I suspect they are just mislabeled on my EMS display. I will take measurements and then figure out how to modify the values displayed by the EMS.
Jordan

Thanks. It looks like I have the same quantity of flap positions that you are describing: up, and 3 progressive down settings. I suspect they are just mislabeled on my EMS display. I will take measurements and then figure out how to modify the values displayed by the EMS.
Jordan
If I had stomped my foot on the ground to help my counting, I might have realized the number of stops of what you're describing is in fact the same as what I listed as typical. I'm a little slow sometimes... :rolleyes:

With that said, your solution sounds like you're on the right track: confirm what the actual deflection is first, then you can address the indication problem if that's the issue. Let us know what you find.

I get 32 degrees on my -9A. Section 15 of the manual claims 32-27 as the normal range for a 9, but I never found anyone who gets close to the high end of that.

Easy to measure using a level app on your phone.
Thanks, I tried using an iPhone bubble level app of unknown accuracy. Flaps measured 8, 16 and 32 degrees at the various (electronic) stops.
Reviewing the Dynon EMS-D120 installation guide, it looks like flaps "calibration" is just manually entering the numbers you want displayed at each flap position, so I'm all set.
Thanks to everyone.