mashy73

I was just wondering if anyone has installed the io 390 with a hartzel cs prop? After talking to the Vans tech support he said that with the angle valve engines, the airplane felt very heavy in the front when flying? Of course he meant when solo, he was about 180 and I'm 200. Does anyone have any experience with this set up?

Nose Heavy

I believe an IO-360 (180hp) weighs about 287-290 lbs and the Hartzell about 59-60lbs...about 347 lbs total.
The IO-390 weighs about 311 lbs. About 370 lbs with a Hartzell, so the RV8 probably would be pretty nose heavy.

I just ordered an AEIO-390 for my RV8QB but I'm using a Catto prop (18-20 lb fixed pitch). The weight, of this combo, will be within a few lbs of a 180 hp with a metal Sensenich.

I think the above numbers are in the ball park.

Planning is the key.

Mounting your battery in the back, using a WW151 or 200 series prop, lighter governor, lighter starter, lighter alternator, EFIS panel, Grove gear, etc allowed me to install a IO360A1B in my 8 with a very light nose. It can be done with a little planning and a little extra moola!

rv8180 said:
I just ordered an AEIO-390 for my RV8QB but I'm using a Catto prop (18-20 lb fixed pitch).

I've been considering this combo as well. Are there any other installation complications with this engine? In other words, does it use the same exhaust, baffles, and induction arrangement as the "normal" IO-360?

Thanks,
Rusty

The prop governor mounting pad, on the IO-390, is located on the forward left upper crankcase half, instead of the lower right accessory case, as on the IO-360 A series. Vans says that the 390 will fit in the cowl with a governor attached to that forward mounting pad. Other then that, from a footprint standpoint, the two engines should be the same.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided
responsibly and at you own risk."

I've been considering this combo as well. Are there any other installation complications with this engine? In other words, does it use the same exhaust, baffles, and induction arrangement as the "normal" IO-360?

Thanks,
Rusty
Today 07:11 AM

I've been told that the IO-390 goes in just like an IO-360......same engine mount, exhaust, etc. Need scoopless cowl, though.
I don't know about baffling....I'll be using the James Holy Cowl. They say it fits the IO-390.
Roy
11-30-05 1140