Biggles71

I'm New Here
Hi guys,

First introduce myself, I'm European (Belgium) but I'm living in Dubai (United Arab Emirates), where I fly Airbus 330 and 340's as an ATP.

I used to have a COZY (? la Rutan Canard), which I had to sell, because I could'nt take it to Dubai.... registration issue.

Now, I'm very interested in starting a RV7 quickbuilt, but the only uncertainty is again the registration issue... The country where I live now (and probably for minimum another 10years or so), does not accept homebuilts on it's own registration... So one has to built under a foreign register.

Working under the Belgian registration is not possible neither, because every annual inspection needs to be done in Belgium...

Question: Can I built and N-register my RV7 outside the US. Remember I'm European and not an US citizen. Of course I like to built in my country of residence, UAE.

Maybe there is a way out to solve my problem.... suggestions?

I know that there' re lots of N registered single engines in Europe (which are owned by a US thrust, on paper...), but I have never been in contact with somebody building a N homebuilt outside the US.

Thanks for all your replies,

Best regards,

Biggles :confused:

Last edited:
Difficult

Biggles,

I am a non-US citizen living in the US and flying an N reg RV. I have had to form a US registered company to own the airplane (of which I am the only shareholder). Every 6 months I have to make a declaration to the FAA that the aircraft has not flown more than 15% of it's hours outside of the US. I know that the rules for operating an N reg aircraft owned by a trust outside of the US are slightly different. However, the FAA are very keen that US Experimentals do not operate for extended periods outside of the US - effectively using the N-reg as a flag of convienience.

On the practical side how would you get the FAA to come out and do your airworthiness inspection?

Perhaps the only way out is to register it in Belgium and fly back there every year for the annual?

The only other way would be to build most of it in Dubai, ship to the US and "sell" to a friendly American who completes, registers & test flies it, and then decides to base it in Dubai.

Sorry that I cannot be more positive, Pete.

penguin said:
On the practical side how would you get the FAA to come out and do your airworthiness inspection?

Maybe Mel would like an all expenses paid vacation to Dubai and perform an airworthiness inspection while there?

Hours outside of USA

Every 6 months I have to make a declaration to the FAA that the aircraft has not flown more than 15% of it's hours outside of the US.
I've never heard of this requirement. Do you have more details?

I haven't heard of 15% either.. may be some "headroom" since the rule says a/c must operate from/in US 60% of the total time.

here are the rules:

What aircraft are eligible for registration in the United States?

Eligibility is officially addressed in 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 47. The following addresses key points for the reader's awareness.

An aircraft is eligible for U.S. Registration if it is not registered in another country and it is owned by:

a) a Citizen of the United States
b) a Resident Alien (foreign individual lawfully admitted for permanent U.S. residence)
c) a U.S. governmental unit or subdivision
d) a non-citizen corporation lawfully organized and doing business under the laws of the U.S. or one of the States as long as the aircraft is based and primarily used in the U.S. (60% of all flight hours must be from flights starting and ending within the U.S.).

US Citizen means one of the following:

a) an individual who is a citizen of the U.S. or one of its possessions,
b) a partnership of which each partner is such an individual,
c) a corporation or association created or organized under the laws of the United States or of any State, Territory, or possession of the United States; of which the president and two-thirds or more of the board of directors and other managing officers are such individuals and in which at least 75% of the voting interest is owned or controlled by persons who are citizens of the United States or of one of its possessions.

An aircraft may be registered only by and in the legal name of its owner. For registration purposes, 'owner' includes a buyer in possession or the lessee of an aircraft under a contract of conditional sale.

No person may operate an aircraft unless it is registered and certificated as airworthy.

First guys, thanks for the replies...

Penguin: Yes, there are FAA inspectors, that can sign of C of A's outside the US... even in the area where I'm living.

Registering it under the Belgium register, is far from attractive... annual inspection needs to be done by Belgian A&P's, engines and props replaced at TBO's, no IFR possible, etc....

N941WR: If this makes flying a N- RV outside the US possible..., Mel is welcome on holiday !

Thanks again, and keep on posting guys...

Biggles

Aircraft owned by Corporations Not US Citizens

Title might not make sense but this is the title of the letter the FAA sends to me every 6 months! Radomir, you are correct (don't know where I got 15% from), the number is 40%.

Every 6 months I am required to make a statement to the FAA regarding flight hours accumulated. The letter says,

"... If the aircraft is operated outside of the United States during the reporting period, the statement must set forth the total time in service of the airframe during that period and the total flight hours accumulated within the United States. To continue to be eligible for registration, at least 60% of the total flight hours must be accumulated within the United States."

The FAA very kindly provide a box at the bottom of the letter where you enter the numbers, sign and send it back. This is for certified aircraft as well as experimentals. It looks like this type of registration would not be available to you if you are based outside of the US.

I don't know how registering aircraft to a trust works. I think you would have to contact an aviation attorney who is experienced in that sort of thing.

I think the most straight forward route is to "sell" your project to a US citizen or green card holder, who then registers it. I believe there is then no restriction on the time an aircraft can fly outside of the US.

Yours, Pete

RV7 Builder

Hi Biggles,
I have read your message and it was interesting, because I am german and building my RV7 part in Germany, part in the USA, and wanting also to register it in the States.
I write you, because we are plannning an around the world trip, stopping over at the UAE. We had a contact person in the Emirates, but he suddendly dissapeared from the earth surface.
Since I cannot find any aeroclubs in the UAE, maybe you could tell me where the best and cheapest landing place is or with whom we can make contact.
The trip will begin mid next year, but I am preparing everything on time(german way!!).
Thanks for your help.
Detlef and Lili

:)