Glenncfly

I'm New Here
Let me start off by saying that I am not a builder. I bought this airplane 6 years ago from the original builder. I’ve noticed the tail wheel wearing on one side and upon closer inspection found that the hole in the mount has worn and the spring is actually rotating inside the mount. Do any of you guys have a recommendation for a fix? I’ve had aircraft mechanics recommend drilling the mount and putting a hat bushing on both sides but I’m thinking replacing the entire assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_5734.jpeg
    IMG_5734.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
A couple thoughts - taper ream and install an AN386 taper pin. Replace the whole tailspring (just did this for a client). Challenge is to get the new tailrspring drill to match your mount. Did a lot of measuring of the original spring and drilled the new one on a mill. Note that most likely your spring isn't from Vans, but rather from
Aviation Products
(805) 646-6042
[email protected]
They'll have the proper replacement tire as well.

Carefully note that the spring comes long, and you cut off the big end to fit. Original builder on clien'ts plane cut the small tapered end, which then wouldn't fit the pivot assembly, so then tapered down the tip, which made a loose fit into the pivot. One day the spring fractured at the pivot bolt hole) and the tailwheel dropped off.

Personally I'd look at the taper pin first. I can make you a deal on a new B&S #2 taper pin reamer.

We've got a document concerning the process involved with match drilling the tail spring to a new one here: (link)

Of course, it all depends on where the wear is. If the actual mount is worn or drilled improperly from the beginning, that's a bit of a different animal, and not a small job to replace the weldment.

We've got a document concerning the process involved with match drilling the tail spring to a new one here: (link)

Of course, it all depends on where the wear is. If the actual mount is worn or drilled improperly from the beginning, that's a bit of a different animal, and not a small job to replace the weldment.

Yes, the wear is on the mount, not the spring. The bolt is solid inside the spring. I have a video of it but don’t know how to upload from my phone. I’m thinking the hole in the mount was not drilled properly and over the years has gotten worse.