dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
What is the RV6 landing light bulb type? Has anyone just installed a LED bulb replacement?

What is the RV6 landing light bulb type? Has anyone just installed a LED bulb replacement?

It could be just about anything, based on what I have seen in the RV-6 world. Just depends on what the builder decided to use.

We did a complete lighting system replacement on Mikey a few years ago using all Whelen LED's. Worked out great!

Paul

Wing tip, or leading edge?

BAC used to make a leading edge add on kit, used an autumotive driving light IIRC.

it's a leading edge light on both wings. it doesn't have a giant old school glass bulb. It looks like an H3 but I figured I would ask before I start ripping it out to replace with an LED bulb replacement.

Wanted to see if a single H3 bulb replacement works better or if I should pull the trigger on a whole LED replacement (whelen etc.) setup.

Thanks,
D

The most common ones are probably an H3 style bulb in either a rectangular reflector, or round reflector.

The LED H3 replacements are usually not a very good solution. They either are very dim, or dont even fit into the reflector. There are some newer high power H3 LED available, but I have not played with those yet.

I just did a complete change out of my wing leading edge taxi and landing lights. Went with the Baja Designs Squadron Pro lights ( 1 spot and 1 combo spot/driving)and a Perehelion wig-wag. Incredible upgrade :) If you are on the Vans Facebook Builders page, I posted a bunch of pics and videos.

PM me if you have any specific questions.