Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Just inserted the long gear legs on our 4. Seems that I recall some info that the long legs don't need the wood support, am I wrong. What is the percentage of shimmy on those that didn't install the support? If it is a gamble I may wait and do it later if necessary. Any input would be appreciated.
Ted

long legs

I have the long legs on my -4. I opted to not install the additional wood dampers. The only time I notice any shimmy is when I taxi too fast. That's not the planes fault, it's mine! I tap the brakes a bit and everything's alright. I would not put them in now, 'cause it's not a problem. Some may have the problem with too much pressure in the tires, or something askew in the leg alignment, but I'm happy with my setup.

It is nice on a cold morning when the ConforFoam is hard, and I can see over the cowling when I taxi out, but taxiing back in I've settled in and have to peer over the cheeks or do S-turns. I flew in Dean Hall's -4 a few times, (short legs) and it seemed to be a challenge to not land on the tailwheel most of the time. I have the Sensenich metal prop (180hp) and appreciate the longer legs for prop clearance.

Jeff

Gear Leg Supports

Hi Jeff

I am at the point of starting the gear leg supports for my RV4 project, and if I am reading this correctly I have the option of not installing the gear leg stiffeners? If that is the case I will move on to the gear leg fairings.

Dayton

OK, stupid question here, but consider the source :D :

How do I tell the difference between the short and long legs?

This was a work in progress when I bought the project, already on the gear, and never really paid any attention to this!

I didn't put the shimmy dampeners on my RV-4 either. I get a shimmy when the pressure in my tires is too high.