jdozment

Patron
Just interested, Are most builders purchasing the complete firewall forward kit for the 390-EXP119 from Van’s or purchasing individual items from various suppliers including Van’s?

Firewall forward kit

I found it easier and quicker to order the whole thing from Van’s. I did a 6 and now my 14. Earlier I did two 6’s one piece at a time and really did not save any money and certainly no time. Good luck.

+1 FWF

I also purchased the FWF when I used the original IO 390 engine. Seemed most parts are the ones I needed anyway. Other have gone the route of buying from third party or ordering the parts separate from Vans.

I suggest all take a careful look at what comes in the FWF kit and delete those items that you may want replace with a different model. Such as:
- Alternator
- Oil Cooler
- Prop Governor

Carl

I ordered my hoses from Aircraft Specialty Flightlines. Very happy with their advice, ordering and speed of delivery. Product came in a week or two ago and everything looks very nice. Engine estimated to arrive somewhere around Christmas so I'll see how everything fits then!

I suggest all take a careful look at what comes in the FWF kit and delete those items that you may want replace with a different model. Such as:
- Alternator
- Oil Cooler
- Prop Governor

Carl

Going with a B&C primary and secondary alternator. Which oil cooler and prop governor would you recommend? Also, if you use a different oil cooler does it bolt on without and modification?

JIm

Going with a B&C primary and secondary alternator. Which oil cooler and prop governor would you recommend? Also, if you use a different oil cooler does it bolt on without and modification?

JIm

I like the PCU-5000X governor. I installed it in an 8A, 10 and an 8.

I tend to use AirFlow oil coolers. On the RV-10 I stayed with one that has the same dimensions as the Van’s FWF kit cooler. For the RV-14 the photo of the provided cooler for the RV-14 on Van’s Web Store is an AirFlow cooler.

Carl

RV14A firewall foward kit

Thanks for all the replies. This will be very helpful as I move forward. The Finishing kit and engine are expected in January. After a long wait, the Quickbuild wings are expected in February, 22; (ordered August, 2020). All else is pretty much complete. Right now I’m reviewing work completed thus far, installing Avionics and anxiously awaiting the remaining kits. Thanks again…