alexevan

I'm New Here
Hi All,

My name is Alex and im a young builder about to embark on the RV12 bulid journey.

Just wondering if anybody would recommend anything else that i should add to my tools list.

4 Piece Dimple Die Kit - 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", & 3/16"

Rivet Squeezer Set - 6-Piece Kit

1/8" (#30) Standard Spring Cleco - MADE IN USA! 1/8" (#30) QTY-350

3/32" (#40) Standard Spring Cleco - MADE IN USA (#40) QTY-50

Cleco Pliers

ECONOMY HAND RIVET SQUEEZER WITH 3" YOKE

AVERY MICRO-STOP CSNK CAGE

AVERY SPEED DEBURR-CSINK TOOL

DEBURRING TOOL

FLUTING PLIERS

If anybody has any other suggestions i would love to hear them!.

Alex, the 16 year old building this in Australia

Hey there Alex - Awesome project to take on!

Section 3iS/U in the plans has a good list of the tools you'll need. Do you have a copy of the plans? If not, send me a PM and let me know. I can get that for you.

Welcome to the family!

greg​

You will need a countersink cutters in #40, #30 and a#30 120degree to get you started. Given the cost of freight, I’d suggest ordering 2each of the #30 and #40.
A couple of packs of #30 and #40 drill bits, and probably one each #30 and#40 extended drill bits. You will be buying tools throughout the build process. Check out someone like Cleaveland tools for a good list. The aircraft specific stuff is best sourced from one of the US based suppliers. A lot of stuff can be got locally. Shop around, do a bit of googling and you may save yourself some money.
A bit of info to get you going in the right general direction. Good luck
Cheers DaveH

Alex, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the Sport Aircraft Association https://saaa.asn.au/. They run a Builder's Assistance Program and can assign you a technical counsellor to help you with advice and inspections during the build. It's a challenging project if you don't have any prior experience.

SAAA i am a member of and also they do not run a BAP anymore.
Alex

Check again: https://saaa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MSP-1.0-003-Member-Support-Program-MSP-1.pdf

In any case it's good that you're a member. You should arrange to have a local tech counsellor appointed to help you through the build. We have a number of tech counsellors and AP's over here in WA, and I recently assisted with the SAAA schools RV-12 build, so the support is definitely there. Good luck with the project.

Edit: I see from some SAAA RV-12 build reports that you were one of the participating students in Victoria, so you will already have a good idea of what's involved. All the best.

Last edited: