Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
Have there been any failed nose gears to airplanes with totally upgraded (per Vans directives) nose gear? I am not finding anything when I do a search.

no guarantees

Ken,
I know you'll get the usual feedback from soup to nuts, but my comment is;
the yoke upgrade is an 'improvement' not a 'fix'.
We all would like a fix, but the ugly truth is, the nose gear 'dig and flip' incidents are such a dynamic occurence, it's going to be very hard to replicate, even in a test rig.
I personally have taxi'd thru rough, oscillating grass, and downwind (probably too fast) on asphalt, and run across some wavy pavement, where old taxiways crossed, and I'm sure I've come within a hair's breadth of diggin in the nose, but got away with it.
There's alot of talk about weight on the nosewheel, but an aft CG may cause an even greater pitching moment, & ultimately more deflection of the nose-leg.
then, there's 'pilot error'. The gear is meant to be light, and is not forgiving, like that on a Cherokee. If my crosswind technique is bad, and I come down hard and sideways, do I expect to get away with it? I wish I will, but if I bend it, I can curse the gear for not being tougher, and myself equally, for exceeding it's limits.
Sadly, the limits are not clear, nor does a amber light on the dash illuminate when nearing them! (Perhaps scuff marks on the bottom of the pant are the only clue of how close we get to the limit!)

Mine collapsed, but I don't think it was the gear's fault. I had a really bad porpoise on a gusty day and wheel-barrowed it. Before or since I have had no problems.