kevinh

Well Known Member
So,

I'm checking my favorite geek/gadget blog this morning and what do I see but :
an RV10 with a motorcycle bay

motopod_01.jpg

Dooood.. very cool. I'm in the process of building a -7 and starting to realize that it is going to be very important for me to be able to transport skis in the airplane. Maybe a pod gear holder? Whaddaya think? I've read the threads and don't really like the idea of modifying the rear bulkhead... Plus, it'd never fit a surfboard...

m

Way cool to see N588RV with the pod on. I sold it to the guy that invented the pod. That was / is a nice -10.

Hmm... This makes me think - there's got to be a way to lash on some of these bigger items to the outside of the plane. Don't float planes routinely fly with big-@ss friggin' canoes stuck on their pontoons?

Obviously it wouldn't be that simple, but what about essentially mounting a removable upside-down ski rack to the bottom of the fuse? Even if they were exposed with no pod... This would solve the W&B and the rear bulkhead problems of doing these modifications inside the fuse.

The only question I have is what about my 9? Will they build a pod for the 9 that can carry a scooter or bike.

Sorry, only designed to fit specific planes. RV-10, Cirrus, Cessna 182, ECT. Has to be a tad over powered is my guess.

What a cool idea! A removable storage pod. That thing will hold a lot of moose meat!

Looking at the pics, the exhaust stream may be an issue, but I'll guarantee you the designer has it thought out. He is a very detailed engineer type.

Man I miss that plane!

Last edited:
The handlebar folding mechanism is pretty simple and straitforward but I would want some kind of secondary locking mechanism just to make sure the thing doesn't start folding back up while I'm riding.

Also, what's going to keep the fuel and oil from leaking out while in the pod?

Slow day at work, just started mulling it over in my pea size brain. :rolleyes:

Karl

Pretty neat idea! Seems like there is a growing market for modifications like this and others and alot of them are including RV's in their list of compatabilities! :)

pod man !!!

WOW!!

I got to have one of those for the 'Borrowed Horse' ,,,,but,, !! we might need some folowing for them to build for 8's and 6,7s,9s....

I called the company that makes these and made a pich for my NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a pod for my Kit, Super Cub 'Shooter' ...not much chance :(:(:(:(:( :confused: to get one:confused::confused: I NEED a POD for the Super Cub!!! we want to carry more stuff. and a Motorcycle would be great!

I have ideas to make a bike pod for the RV-8

Hi,

i've been planning all along to make something like this for the RV-8 to hopefully hold two bicycles. I have installed the hard points in the fuselage to allow mounting with four screws in through the belly. The hard points are made from the Vans aluminum extrusion for the wing tie downs, and are bolted to the floor ribs. There are four floor penetrations that right now have four flat-head screws with Tinnerman washers plugging them up. When removed, 4 5/16 threaded holes are available for bolting on the pod.

It will be a little bit more aerodynamic than this - although this one looks fairly good.

HP aircraft (www.hpaircraft.com) will be fabricating the pod, and assuming it is successful, we will market it commercially. Probably a year off, since my RV-8 will fly around thanksgiving.

Steve
RV-8 QB FWF

Talked to them at OSH...Not my cup of tea..for the price I can rent cars for several years but it is very well designed, has a winch to lift it into the hardpoints and casters to wheel it underneath. Motorbike is made to fit in the pod with folding pegs and handle bars. I remember them talking about the fuel/oil system, but don't remember exactly what they did to make it safe for flight but it was addressed. The son of the father and son team is very bright and personable young man and an engineer, first time in 46 years I felt old around a kid, they really did their homework on this...I hope they find their market niche to justify their efforts...and once again the EAA put them like other new vendors in a really crappy spot along side the main road near the John Deere tent. They fought the dust storms daily from all the ATV's etc. but were very upbeat none the less. I noticed several other good, new vendors like Bonaco and the Failsafe trim guys stuck of the beaten path..we found them by accident.

...and once again the EAA put them like other new vendors in a really crappy spot along side the main road near the John Deere tent. They fought the dust storms daily from all the ATV's etc. but were very upbeat none the less. I noticed several other good, new vendors like Bonaco and the Failsafe trim guys stuck of the beaten path..we found them by accident.

And "Thank you"....While true we may not have been in a great spot (well if you like ovens it was OK) I did have a lot of builders stop by and say "Thank you" (after they found us of course). With any luck we will have a better spot next year.