speyers

Well Known Member
Curious about the differances between the older style Van's wingtips and the newer ones. I think those are called "sheared" tips?
1) Does the RV-4 still come with the older style tips?
2) How about the interchangability of wingtips between the 4,6,7,8, and 9 models?
3) Understand that the newer ones also come precut for clear landing light/nav light covers.
4) What about performance differances?

Please educate me. :)

RV-4,6,7,8 all have the same airfoil and size. These tips are all interchangable. RV-3 is same airfoil but smaller size. RV-9 and RV-10 are completely different airfoils. None of these are interchangable.

speyers said:
Curious about the differances between the older style Van's wingtips and the newer ones. I think those are called "sheared" tips?...
There is something to be said for interchangeability. Having recently ordered the RV-8 wing kit, I elected to go with the older style wingtips rather than the newer sheared type. The difference in cost was negligible.

There are at least 3 Wing Tip styles... "Old", "Sheared" (W-715: Curved Trailing Edge) and on the RV-8 at least, another new style (W-715-1: Straight Trailing Edge) - the ones you need for the "Wingtip Landing Lights" since the Light(s) cutout is much larger....