ShannonEvans

Ok, I am not trying to start anything, but would like some imput from pilots that have flown both aircraft.

I have currently come the realization that in the 1.5 years I have owned my Beech Super III, I have only carried more than one passenger 3times. I have always thought I wanted an old Bonanza:cool: But after thinking about above flying habits it really does not make much sense now to have a 4 place aircraft. I have taken the RV-9 test flight at the factory & flown in a 6a. The 9a would likely fit my mission the best. 100-350 mile cross countries mostly solo day trips. However the Lancair 320/360 LOOKS GOOD. I have a hp/complex endorsment in Bo's but only about 10hours current retract time. 240hrs total. We are also getting a NEW paved runway so that also made me think of Lancair:D. I think if I could sell my Beech that I could get a nice daily driver RV6a or Lancair 235/320 for about the same money as the Bo. It also gives a little more option on upgrades to plane being experimental.

How do flight qualities of the two planes compare. And yes I know this is an RV sight, but pleeeeaaassseeee be polite & objective:). Just looking for ideas.

Shannon Evans
N5650S (and a set of old 9 plans)

Lancair is less forgiving to fly than an RV. RV's are much easier to land, if that is important to you.

(snip)
How do flight qualities of the two planes compare. And yes I know this is an RV sight, but pleeeeaaassseeee be polite & objective:). Just looking for ideas.

Shannon Evans

I haven't flown a Lancair, but I have sat in several and found the early ones very tight compared to RVs. Also there are multiple reports of handling quality issues like this one which were enough to give me pause when i was shopping for a homebuilt.

RVs have excellent handling qualities, simpler systems (read: less maintenance), much lower landing speeds (read: much safer in a forced landing) and a much bigger pool of airplanes to choose from.

You can find thorough flight reports of several homebuilts, including a couple of Lancairs and most of the RVs here

I owned a Pulsar XP (same size as a Lancair) prior to deciding to build an RV-7A. I almost took the plunge and bought a Lancair kit, but I just couldn't do it. In my opinion, the Lancair is a beautiful and fast airplane. But, they are very cramped in the cockpit, and don't allow much utility.

This was the main reason for looking for more than my Pulsar. In the end, I just couldn't resist the very well-roundedness of the RV.

Glass is an issue

I'm not trying to start a religious war, but buying a used composite aircraft vs. a used aluminum one raises the basic issues of inspectability and repairability. The structural portion's workmanship is visible on an aluminum aircraft and RVs are built to normal, certified aircraft standards or better with normal aircraft materials.

An aluminum aircraft uses known materials - sheet and angle and rivets - for which the strength is known. A composite aircraft that is homebuilt uses, to some extent, materials that are created by the builder from known ingredients. The certainty of the final result is thus less.

I've never flown nor ridden in a glass airplane so this is all non-firsthand, but I'd be willing to bet the RV can handle short or soft fields a lot better.

I know folks with composite aircraft who can't fly into a lot of airstrips due to the landingt/takeoff distance required. Many of these airstrips are the best place to go for $100 hamburgers.

I can land my 9A in less than 500 feet (using AoA and good technique). I don't fly into 500 foot strips, but it sure helps when tower asks you to keep it in tight or land long and expedite your exit.

V

RV vs. Lancair

In the spirit of fairness, I should probably point out that you have landed in a nest of RV zealots, who are here by free choice.

There are lancair forums (I've cruised them) where people extol the virtues of their glass airplanes, and snicker at us clueless rubes in the "tin cans." Many of these people have rational reasons for their choice, but those of us here disagree, given the same set of facts.

RVs are about 20% of all homebuilts. Nothing else even approaches their market share.

Some advantages of Lancairs vs. RVs:

-On average, they are faster for the same power
-Many people feel they look snarkier
-chicks dig retractable gear
-They ride better in turbulence because of the higher wing loading

Some years ago I was serious about the Lancair until I paid $80 for a demo ride at SNF. The demo pilot was up tight. The only stick time I got was straight and level and a gentle turn and then "I've got it" and we went back in to land. It was a disappointment from the git go. At the time there was an issue with the tail feathers being inadequate to the point the airplane could not be certified in Australia. (The airplane was the red machine that later went in out of OSH when the prop came off.) I built a Cozy MKIV instead and flew it for several years.

In the mean time I had a couple rides in RV's. There's been no looking back since. It is the best all around airplane you can build and the person who does not like to fly one hasn't been born or isn't a pilot. :)

As someone else said, think about inspectability and not trusting someone else's work.

If the builder did a lousy job, you could have delamination between layers of glass, reducing the strength dramatically. Won't show by looking at it.

You can inspect for this on a Lancair by tapping with a quarter listening for a hollow sound or a change in the sound. But you need to tap almost the whole structure to find a small area of delamination that could be important. Be sure to do this before you buy and it might be wise to redo the job after any high-g event.

Retractables: I watched a Lancair start a takeoff roll and at about 30 mph a main gear leg collapsed. Took close to a second or more before the pilot realized what happened and pulled the throttle and it continued to accelerate until he did so. Skidded off the runway into a beautiful show quality Stinson Reliant. Haven't seen a fixed gear do anything like that. Could happen, I suppose. At the very least, think cheaper insurance.

One thing to think about is the seating. In the Lancair you're basically laying down (that's one of the ways they get all of that speed). In the RV you're sitting in a much more upright position.

As a Lancair owner, I'll weigh in "neutral" and simply say,

"It depends on your mission goals."

Every RV can take off and land relatively safely on a grass strip. Not so for the early Lancairs (235 / 320 / 360). The last 320/360s had "Outback Gear," but good sense would suggest that that should only be an occasional exercise. Yes, some people live on and operate from grass strips with 360s - but go look at the gear and make you own decision.

The Lancair Legacy Fixed Gear would be fine on grass, and the retract would probably be fine, too.

On the other hand, nothing is as fast for a gallon of gas as a Lancair. If you have the "need for speed," a turbocharged IO-550 mated to a Legacy gives you blistering speed. RVs are not recommended to be operated above their Vne treated as TRUE airspeed for fear of flutter, so even if you put a bigger engine on it you are risking exceeding the design limits of the airframes. My 320 (with 10:1 pistons) cruises at over 180KTAS, a good 15-30 knots faster than a comparably engined RV. But, it is not intended for regular acrobatics. Lancairs frequently race at Reno; the racers add the "Reno Wrap" (makes the tail section stiffer), but that is really for the sustained turning G's not just the speed.

As mentioned previously there is the over-hyped issue of handling. There is no question that an RV is closer to a Cessna in its' handling qualities than is a Lancair, although the Legacy has improved greatly. An ex-fighter pilot I know (me) nearly wet himself the first time he tried to land a 235 when a very slight nose wheel bounce sent the aircraft ballooning into the air and trying mightily to stall from 10' up. However, after a few patterns it became natural (although long cross countries without an autopilot would be very tiring), and flying at 165KTAS on 6gph was truly a wonderful thing. Still, I have talked SEVERAL people out of buying a 235 by simply letting them fly it and then asking them, "do you think you are experienced enough and will fly often enough to remain safe in this airplane?" Only a few said yes, and they often bought other airplanes (for other reasons, like 4 seats in a Mooney).

Finally there is cost / support. The older unfinished 320/360 airframes are now suspect (improper storage of unfinished glass can cause damage), and are virtually non-existant. That leaves the Legacy (or ES for you 4-seaters), which is considerably more expensive and challenging to build than an RV. Some mechanics are more comfortable working on an RV than a Lancair because it is more similar to production airplanes (that is changing with the Cirruses); and the RV community simply has far more members to help support your building efforts. If you aren't building , naturally that isn't such a large concern.

So, this answers nothing for YOU.

Write down what you will do with your airplane.
- Typical Mission?
- Acro? If so, serious or just a few barrel rolls?
- Grass strip?
- Range / load?
- Speed requirements?
- Budget?
- Personal skills?

Once you have answered those questions honestly, there will likely be only one "best fit."

Cheers,

Bill

If you like

Seeing as the last time I did this, I indeed stepped into a hornets nest. If you'd like to email me directly, I'm happy to give you the pro and cons.

I've flown both, and I'm building a Lancair Legacy and thing\k I can offer an honest perspective. Perhaps a little biased, but I'll try to be objective with you if you.

Please note, *most*, not all of what is posted above is specific to the 3xx or 2xx series Lancair. The Legacy is a much different airplane - just as large as an RV inside, in some cases more so (FG in eglass for example).

Anyway, enough said, if interested, email to adamson_alan at hotmail dot com

Thanks and I'll look for an email :)

You simply cannot have a meaningful comparison discussion unless you define what your mission is and your price point.

Frankly you have a hard time having this conversation within the RV models most times. Its all a price, performance, mission tradeoff and we need to know the hows, whats, wheres and whys of your intended mission in order to help you.

BTW, AAdamson is a very good Lancair resource. He is intimately familiar with lancairs and he hangs around with us RV'ers cause we know how to have fun.

Tell us exactly, in excrutiating detail, everything about your flying needs and a couple of the rational thinkers here will try and help you. You will have to figure out who they are for yourself Im afraid.

Best,

Don't forget one of the most important points which is crash survivability. Lancairs land (crash) FAST due to their higher wing loading. IMHO, your chance of survival are pretty slim in one of these slippery airplanes during an off field landing.

This single factor was the main reason I chose this style of aircraft (vans/rocket). These aircraft offer the best compromise of performance vs. survivability, not to mention they beat the complex glass airplanes hands down on reliabilty.

Bob

Ok, I am not trying to start anything, but would like some imput from pilots that have flown both aircraft.

I have currently come the realization that in the 1.5 years I have owned my Beech Super III, I have only carried more than one passenger 3times. I have always thought I wanted an old Bonanza:cool: But after thinking about above flying habits it really does not make much sense now to have a 4 place aircraft. I have taken the RV-9 test flight at the factory & flown in a 6a. The 9a would likely fit my mission the best. 100-350 mile cross countries mostly solo day trips. However the Lancair 320/360 LOOKS GOOD. I have a hp/complex endorsment in Bo's but only about 10hours current retract time. 240hrs total. We are also getting a NEW paved runway so that also made me think of Lancair:D. I think if I could sell my Beech that I could get a nice daily driver RV6a or Lancair 235/320 for about the same money as the Bo. It also gives a little more option on upgrades to plane being experimental.

Shannon Evans

Two words.....Re-sale value.

Right now you can not give away a Lancair homebuilt. Why would you build or buy anything less?

Last edited:
Don't forget one of the most important points which is crash survivability. Lancairs land (crash) FAST due to their higher wing loading. IMHO, your chance of survival are pretty slim in one of these slippery airplanes during an off field landing.

This single factor was the main reason I chose this style of aircraft (vans/rocket). These aircraft offer the best compromise of performance vs. survivability, not to mention they beat the complex glass airplanes hands down on reliabilty.

Bob

Two words.....Re-sale value.

Right now you can not give away a Lancair homebuilt. Why would you build or buy anything less?

You both assume that crash surviveability and resale are even remotely on his priority list.
There are many many lancairs being built today by some very smart dedicated people. They have very good, articulate reasons for doing so.

Thank You for the imput

I will try to explain my mission & thinking in detail. First If the runway on my home base (K17) was not getting a new paved runway I would not consider the Lancair. However my hanger mate & former 819VK owner (6a) flew his Columbia 350 of the grass with no issues. But he was very carefull with the RV also.

Mission
1)Most 100-300nm one day trips with 1-2 people & little to no luggage
2)Few possible 500-800nm trips during the year
3)No arobatics point a to point b only, or just up on a nice morning or evening looking around when time.
4)Speed for fuel burn would give more range to look at things in a given time.
5)Would only in few instances need to land on grass, could be avoided.
6)Re-sale not a huge issue. Would like to find a 55-75000 dollar mechanically sound aircraft with good vfr or light ifr avionics that I could upgrade over time to suit my needs/desires.
7) Current 4 place aircraft does 130mph (on avg) at 10gph fuel burn. Would like to cover more ground on similar or less fuel.
8)Spring & Summer flying (other than just evening flight) has to be on weekend only for trips. Time is important (job stuff).
9)I do not push or mess with weather vfr only. If bad I will wait, Only exception to this statement is wind. Plane must handle Western KS winds.
10) I want some ramp appeal. The Super Mouse just does not have the same pull on the ramp as my Firebird GT does in the parking lot.:D Note- I drive with my seat reclined. Some would say laying down. I have only sat in one Lancair 235 & found it very comfortable.

I have great respect for the RV & I know the support is excellent. I have just not been able to find as much info on the Lancair 320/360 which would be in my price point. Also, I am NOT a builder. I can do simple mechanic stuff but let the pro's AP/AI do the hard work. Also, there are alot of RV's out here & I like to be a little different. There is a local Lancair 235 I would like to try to get a ride in, but I am not sure what kind of pilot the owner is or if he has flown it much.

Hope this gives you a better idea of where I am comeing from
Shannon Evans
N5650S

Oh yeah one more thing. My intent is to NOT CRASH:eek:. I assume that any aircraft can get you killed. That said crash survivability is important, but it is weighted with other factors. I would not fly either aircraft without type training. By the way I am single and 42 years old. I plan to be an old pilot not a bold pilot. I am comfident in my pilot skills, but old enough to know ego can get me in over my head. I always remember a PPL is just a license for continued learning. And, I am NOT infallable.

Shannon Evans
N5650S

Oh yeah one more thing. My intent is to NOT CRASH:eek:. I assume that any aircraft can get you killed. That said crash survivability is important, but it is weighted with other factors. I would not fly either aircraft without type training. By the way I am single and 42 years old. I plan to be an old pilot not a bold pilot. I am comfident in my pilot skills, but old enough to know ego can get me in over my head. I always remember a PPL is just a license for continued learning. And, I am NOT infallable.

Shannon Evans
N5650S

I don't think anyone meant crashing in the context of you as the pilot causing a crash (though survivability in that case is important also).

Stuff happens...engines (and other important parts) do fail on occasion, forcing us to sometimes make landings on terrain that we would prefer not too. The speed you are going is a huge factor in survivability. This is a one plus for RV's due to there good controllability at low airspeed and there low landing speed. People have survived forced landings in RV's (often with very minimal injury) in some of the most unbelievable terrain.

This of course can not be the only factor considered in choosing an airplane but it is one that everyone should probably consider to some degree in the process.

I own both

I have a Lancair 235 (O-235) and an RV-8A (IO-390). Comparing the two is really an apples and oranges thing in my opinion. The main two reasons I haven't put the Lancair on the market since buying the RV-8A is that the Lancair 235 gets about 32 MPG (statute miles) and well, I guess, I have a love affair going with the little guy. In appearance, I think the Lancair is right up there with the original Learjet. It's beautiful sitting on the ramp but seen in formation flight up close with the gear up it is truly a thing of beauty. If you want to fly formation, fly upside down, or land on short grass runways you will be happier in an RV, in my opinion. If you want cutting edge performance, give the Lancair strong consideration. It is, simply put, an exciting aircraft.

If the machines were autos I'd call My RV-8A a Shelby GT and the Lancair a Ferrari.

Just

wanted to point out also, if the speed difference means a lot to you, your typical 300 NM trip above would be:

RV - 300 NM / 170 kts ~ 1.76 hrs
Lancair - 300 NM / 200 kts = 1.5 hrs

15 mins difference in trip time, maybe 2-3 gals. less fuel on the same engine/fuel burn.

Your 800 NM trip will probably require a fuel stop in either plane which makes any time saved variable.

Last edited:
Its personal preference

As far as crash survivability & speed, the RV may win on speed, but the composite Lancair structure may be a better energy absorbing job. Also, if you need to dead stick over water or graby terrain, its really nice to be able to pull the gear up. One would have to compile all the accident statistics to make sense of it and even that would not necessarily predict how your crash would come out.

I've never flown a Lancair. Considered buying one instead of an RV, but my poundage puts the CG too far aft. Glasair's can handle the weight better and I strongly considered buying a Glassair II. In fact, if there were a decent number of them on the used market I may be flying one of those now.

I do have about 670 hours in Mooneys, which is a similarly configured airplane. Also one with a reputation for PIO on landing. When I was finishing up my PPL (1989) one of the instructors bent the prop on a club 201. Half the pilots were buzzing about how hard it was too land one right, but a few were quietly saying it was no problemo with proper technique.
In 1990 I got a checkout in a 201 and found the quiet ones were right. Landing Mooneys is not hard at all. Quit yanking on the yoke and it quits oscillating.

I have no doubt that Lancairs are harder than Mooneys, but also no doubt that if you quit yanking on the stick it will stop oscillating. People do fly them safely and and accidents may have other unerlying causes.

When I was researching what to buy, weight & balance was a huge consideration. Our benchmark trip is Cal coast to Den CO with enough baggage for a week. Between the me, the wife, and bagage, we need to carry 400#, plus full fuel. The Lancairs I can afford can't handle that.

One airplane salesman was telling me how he flys it (Lancair) over gross and and aft of CG all the time. He said that its a bit twitchy in that configuration but you get used to it. I told him "no thanks". I'm really wondering if that's a big source of the pitch stability worry??????????

Anyway, for me, right now, it came down to simplicity and economy, with the willingness to compromise on outright speed & range. I'm not very good at wrenching, but I wanted to do all my own maintenance. Having owned two Mooneys, I had a feel for the cost and hassle that complexity adds to flying.
In the end I decided on fixed gear and fixed pitch. I'm still happy with my decision, though I do miss making that benchmark trip non-stop. I miss flying my Mooney on those long trips, but I don't miss maintaining it. On short trips, just for fun, I prefer the simplicity of my RV. Also, when conditions are challenging, the simplicity of the RV gives me more margin on my flying ability.

Bottom line: I lost some range and speed, but I have an airplane that I can maintain (with good advice from this site), that is easy to insure, and that I can fly well. So far it doesn't cost much more than fuel to operate.

I'm not saying that I won't go shopping for that Glassair in the future, but for now I'm happy to keep it simple.

Wow, you really have options open to you. Your mission does not exclude Lancairs (Which most missions do...)

I've done Condition inspections on RV's, Lancairs, Glasairs, and other experimentals so:

Systems
While it's true that RV's CAN have less complicated systems, what you are really looking at is the retractable gear. This system is a constant source of chagrin to my friends that fly them as it is always hanging down a little at high speed, or the pump goes out, or something is leaking. Not a huge deal once you sort out the issues, if any, but it's the only system that is really "more complicated" (as mentioned earlier) than the RV.

Now the real catch, if the person that built the aircraft you buy didn't know what they were doing when they put together the other systems, there is a good chance that you won't be able to correct their mistakes easily in the glass airplane. For instance, in one of my friend's Glasair I RG the brake system was stolen out of a Piper Twin Comanche (as were many other systems). The problem is that the geometry of the petals in the Twinkie is setup for a much more upright seating position, making the petals a slightly difficult reach. Without tearing into the airframe, there is no way to retrofit other petals.

Because RV's have been built from kits that were more complete in the early days, there is less of this kind of 'gotcha'.

Flying

Having flown all three types (I throw the Glasair in there because I feel it fits your budget/mission better than the Lancair) I will be the first to say, buy an RV. Your mission would work with a Glass airplane, but they certainly don't have the control harmony that the RV does, they land 15kts faster, and are generally more "work" to fly on the cross country.

Also, you can get a nicer RV for the same $$$. Most of the $60K Lancairs out there are in need of major work to get them up to todays standards in radio, panel, and paint.

If you are married to the idea of a glass plane, look into Glasair I's, they fit your budget better (The NICEST ones go for around $65-80K), and are only minimally slower than the Lancair. Glasair is also much more stable in roll, although just as bad in pitch.

But I'd start by finding some owners (Not sellers) and bumming rides until you get the feel for what you are dealing with. I'm checked out in a Glasair, but am still building an RV... go figure.

I have to agree with JCFL about the Lancair's beauty in flight. I have a bunch of pictures a friend took of my plane in flight and it's awesome! I was reminded of this last when I had my plane up on jacks with the gear retracted and it is so sleek, I had to marvel at its lines. I made my own pan out of carbon fiber and put the carb on the back so I don't have anything sticking down below the bottom lines of the fuselage so it is one unbroken line from the front of the cowling to the fuselage. I have flown Cubs, Champs, Luscombes, Ercoupes, and Cessnas, and my 235 is the easiest to land of them all. I usually touch down in three-point attitude at 63-65 mph IAS and easily make the first turn-off at Santa Maria. The tower tells me I get off the ground in 1000' at 1000' dalt at 1350 lb with my three-blade fixed-pitch prop. When I fly into Santa Paula, 2650', 600' AGL pattern altitude, I chop power opposite the approach end of the runway and dead-stick it just as I did in a Cub.

wanted to point out also, if the speed difference means a lot to you, your typical 300 NM trip above would be:

RV - 300 NM / 170 kts ~ 1.76 hrs
Lancair - 300 NM / 200 kts = 1.5 hrs

15 mins difference in trip time, maybe 2-3 gals. less fuel on the same engine/fuel burn.

Your 800 NM trip will probably require a fuel stop in either plane which makes any time saved variable.

Only the RV will stop for gas. Add another 45 minutes (time on ground plus climb / descent) for the RV.

:D

Accident histories

I looked up the accident histories for RVs and Lancairs on the NTSB database, to see if there is a notable difference.

For RVs there appear to have been 121 fatal accidents according to the database (counting number of accidents, not number of fatalities). The total fleet according to Van's website is 5735. The accident aircraft are therefore equivalent to 2.1% of the fleet. This is about 1 in 50 aircraft.

For experimental Lancairs there were 57 fatal accidents, against a fleet of 1069 according to the FAA registry. This works out to 5.3%, or 1 in 20 aircraft.

This simple analysis pays no attention to hours flown, fleet age, or the type of accident. There also could be some inaccuracies in the reporting (or my reading of it). However, these numbers do give some idea of the probability that a particular airplane is going to come to a bad end, which is what an individual owner really cares about.

Needless to say, actual outcomes are largely within the control of the each pilot. Please fly carefully!

That's expected with a faster more complex airplane

I looked up the accident histories for RVs and Lancairs on the NTSB database, to see if there is a notable difference.

For RVs there appear to have been 121 fatal accidents according to the database (counting number of accidents, not number of fatalities). The total fleet according to Van's website is 5735. The accident aircraft are therefore equivalent to 2.1% of the fleet. This is about 1 in 50 aircraft.

For experimental Lancairs there were 57 fatal accidents, against a fleet of 1069 according to the FAA registry. This works out to 5.3%, or 1 in 20 aircraft.

This simple analysis pays no attention to hours flown, fleet age, or the type of accident. There also could be some inaccuracies in the reporting (or my reading of it). However, these numbers do give some idea of the probability that a particular airplane is going to come to a bad end, which is what an individual owner really cares about.

Needless to say, actual outcomes are largely within the control of the each pilot. Please fly carefully!

Look at the fatal statistics between Mooney's & 182's. You'll see a similar ratio.

Still a valid point in that the pilot needs to be sure that he won't end up on the bottom 5.3% of that distribution.

The money to buy an airplane does not correlate to the skill required to fly it safely

Nail on the head

Bob

Before buying my RV-6 kit, I rode in a legacy. I'm not sure if it is typical, but this one took lots of runway and was really moving out on landing and takeoff. I loved the airplane, but it was a definite no for me after that ride due to engine out survivability concerns.

I call it refresh the brain and body.

LOL - well, I call it "All day spent getting there." I routinely fly from Atlanta to upstate New York for family - it was a 4.5 hour flight nonstop in my 235 and just under 4 in my 320. I've done it with and without a stop - but if you are trying to beat weather at the destination I'll take the nonstop please!

It really depends on your personal goal. If you are a cross-country kinda guy, the airplane is glorious if it gets you there quickly and safely. If you are all about the experience of flying, then Grass and Gs are where your focus will be.

Vanilla, or Chocolate?

P.S. Got my first ride in an RV-7 the other day. Terrific, solid airplane, fun to fly. Climbs better than my Lancair 320 (must be lighter?) at a much lower airspeed (big, fat wings). For anyone really wanting the extra range, I'm certain there is enough weight leeway in an RV to add extended range tanks, even if it comes at the expense of some baggage. 5-10 gallons should give range-parity.

Last edited:
Exactly, It is down to preferance

LOL - well, I call it "All day spent getting there." .......
It really depends on your personal goal. If you are a cross-country kinda guy, the airplane is glorious if it gets you there quickly and safely. If you are all about the experience of flying, then Grass and Gs are where your focus will be........

I enjoy flying, but when on a long trip, getting there ASAP is all I care about. The first few minutes are fun, the last few a relief, everything in between is just burning fuel and time.

For me the 9A is a good compromise. The majority of the time, the simplicity pays off. For those long trips I suffer through the fuel stops and extra time. I am looking into increasing my fuel capacity though.

...In appearance, I think the Lancair is right up there with the original Learjet. It's beautiful sitting on the ramp but seen in formation flight up close with the gear up it is truly a thing of beauty...
As much as I like the looks of the RV series, I LOVE the looks of the Lancair.

After all, they have never hung an RV up in NYC's Modern Museum of Art but they did hang a Lancair up in 1995.

Why then did I build an RV-9? Simple, I like short grass strips and the people and planes you find there. I also wanted a plane I could travel in and the RV provided the best of both worlds. I like approaching at 65 MPH much better than coming in at 100 MPH or some such crazy number and I can do that with a 760 lb useful load!

Look at the fatal statistics between Mooney's & 182's. You'll see a similar ratio.

Its harder to do this because of the way the registration data are reported (would require a bit of a research project). However, I looked at the fatal vs. total accident ratios, and by this measure Mooney's and Skylanes are about the same (21% vs. 18%).

Two things make me think the Lancair would be a worse deal in a crash. One is that fiberglass doesn't crumple and adsorb energy like metal does. The other is crash energy increases with the square of velocity, so a crash at 70 knots actually has twice the energy as one at 50 knots.

That said, I do agree that the Lancairs are attractive and fast...

As a Lancair Legacy pilot I can tell you that I cannot imagine owning anything else -- RV or any airplane for that matter. I am addicted to the speed and economy (I can fly at all the way down to 28 statute mpg if I want to go at a very low power setting.)

Yes, the Legacy is a challenging and potentially dangerous plane to fly if you are not on top of your game. But for me, thats part of the fun! It's like rock climing or skydiving. (I might add that if you dont take flying and flight training seriously you should not be flying one.)

Dave T.
Legacy RG

Legacy

AI am addicted to the speed and economy (I can fly at all the way down to 28 statute mpg if I want to go at a very low power setting.)

I didn't say I didn't want one...

When calculating economy, do you figure in the higher cost of the plane? :eek: $100,000 buys a lot of gas.

RV's can be very good on gas:

I routinely operated my 200HP fixed pitch RV4 about 50F lean of peak (it had electronic ignition). At altitude, my "easy cruise" numbers were:

2500 rpm
168 ktas (193 mph)
7.2 gph

That works out to 26.8 mpg.

I didn't say I didn't want one...

When calculating economy, do you figure in the higher cost of the plane? :eek: $100,000 buys a lot of gas.

By the time we figure in price of aircraft, hangar fees, fuel, insurance, etc; even going the "economy" route..................I doubt that most of us can justify the cost .....period. It's really just for the "fun" of it! :D

L.Adamson

More likely to die in a Lancair

Besides higher stall speed where square root of ratio of stall speeds shows the Lancair will have well over 2 times the energy to dissipate in a crash, assuming min speed.

(84/55)^2 = 233% more energy

Second Fiberglass is not good for crashing. The relatively brittle (in engineering terms) composites don't give, deflect, yield and absorb energy and eventually just rupture.

In the last 6 months there have been many Lancair crashes and most just left a burn mark. They all burned to the ground and there was tragically loss of life. Fuel tanks just shatter.

These are all facts. You can say what you want but LOW LOW stall speed and metal structure equals a safer, more survivable crash worthier airplane and structure. I have a degree in aerospace structure and certification of planes. There is a BIG reason why GA planes have FAR limits on stall speeds. If you had a choice for an off field engine out landing and you had your choice you would be nuts to take the Lancair over the RV.

From a FUN stand point? Hands down RV's. They have a better feel on the controls, can do aerobatics and can get in and out of fields that would make Lancair pilots wet their pants (from sweat).

Cost? ha ha ha YOU WANT HOW MUCH FOR THAT PLANE? Right you can build a nice RV from less than what just the engine cost for some Lancair's.

Performance? A lancair is faster BUT WITH A BIG GAS Thirsty engine. Also if comparing their fixed gear planes they are only 15 mph faster, with the aforementioned gas hog engine. Big deal.

RV's may not have swoopy curves and have rivets but they are low drag, low frontal area planes. RV's just happen to be in the sweet spot for a sport plane. If you like to just take off and fly straight and level from point A to B (both long hard surface airports) for travel than the Lancair is the winner.

Any reply is welcomed but no personal attacks. If you dispute my facts or opinions fine, do so as a gentelman. Right Doug.

Ok, not to dump on all the Legacy drivers here, but thats NOT what the OP is looking at.

His price range will put him in a Lancair 235/320 (converted) or maybe a OLD ratty 320 (wingtips and cowl is different I believe).

It could put him in a nice FG Glasair I, or a middle of the road Glasair I RG.

It could put him into a Perfect RV-4, or an average RV-6/6a

Confined to those choices, I'll just point a few observations of mine out:

1. The rough-field capabilities of the RV aren't really his mission, scratch that.
2. Insurance checkouts and annual premiums would be higher with the retracts, finding instruction in type is difficult and expensive.
3. No stock-ish RV can match the economy of a well-built Lancair/Glasair under the same conditions, it's called drag.
4. Flying any of the these birds in IFR is difficult, although i'd give the edge to the Glasair with long wingtips installed, at least it's pretty stable in roll. Still, not his mission I think.
5. Lancair's do a pretty darn good job of absorbing energy in a crash, as I've seen first hand (a friend locally walked away from a completely totalled Lancair 320 that he built...)
6. If you have the old nosegear on an RV, tighten your shoulder harness or risk putting you head through your EFIS unit when it flips over.

I'd honestly have him looking at FG Glasair I's as his first option...

Hardly news

Besides higher stall speed where square root of ratio of stall speeds shows the Lancair will have well over 2 times the energy to dissipate in a crash, assuming min speed.
(84/55)^2 = 233% more energy I think the lancair number is wrong

Second Fiberglass is not good for crashing. The relatively brittle (in engineering terms) composites don't give, deflect, yield and absorb energy and eventually just rupture. Not just the material, its the shape. Progressive rupturing can dissipate energy in a controlled way

In the last 6 months there have been many Lancair crashes and most just left a burn mark. They all burned to the ground and there was tragically loss of life. Fuel tanks just shatter. RV10s are not doing too well so far either
Any reply is welcomed but no personal attacks. If you dispute my facts or opinions fine, do so as a gentelman. Right Doug.

George,

(additional comments in red above)

How about this one: If you fly a GA airplane you are more likely to die.

Your headline "More likely to die in a Lancair" is just not headline material. Numbers already cited in another post indicated that Lancair drivers are about 2.5 times as likely to die than RV drivers. No surprise and very consistent with ratios between FG & RG elsewhere in the GA fleet.

Is it really surprising that you are more likely to die in a faster airplane that is more complex to operate?

This is all about managing risk, not eliminating it. Otherwise, pick a different activity than flying. Here are things that increase the risk of dying beyond just being a GA pilot of small airplanes:

Flying an experimental airplane (the numbers say this is huge)
Flying with an automotive conversion engine (like the egg or others)
Flying aerobatics
Flying IFR

Virtually everyone one this web site has deliberately chosen to do at least one of those, which means they have deliberately chosen to increase their statistical probability of dying.

I gave away one of my books that had fatalities by model, but my recollection is that Mooney's were about 3x Cessna 182. Those airplanes are a good corollary to the Lancair RV question. The relative complexity, stall speeds, and cruise speeds have similar differences between these models. (I think you mis-stated the lancair stall speed)

The book I still have shows the following per 100k hours.
Likely fatal categories:
Stall: M20=0.8 C182=0.36
Airframe failure: M20=0.18 C182=0.12
Possibly fatal catagories:
Engine related: M20=3.42 C182=2.08
Runway undershoot: M20=0.37 C182=0.24
Runway overshoot: M20=1.01 C182=1.21

Except in runway overshoot the Mooney looses hands down.

I looked at this information (and the fatal stats) very carefully both times I considered and bought a Mooney. Statistics are true and should not be ignored, but they do not necessarily convey information about underlying cause or ones individual probability of dying. My decision was to manage the risk. How I did that is off topic, but to date I'm still alive.

Between the time I got my Pvt in 1989 and when I sold my last Mooney in 2007 I had accumulated about 1100 hours total, about 700 of which was Mooney's mostly, but a little TB20 (complex, HP, higher stall than Mooney's).
I know those hours are dwarfed by many on this site, but here is the point:
Some of my peers who got their tickets around the same time or even later, and having fewer hours, are not with us today. I think the records will show that some died in slower and simpler airplanes than the Mooney. Some died in RVs

Look, I'm not trying to brag. I could auger in this week. Nevertheless, this cannot be ignored: Why am I alive and they are not, even though I was flying an airplane statistically 3 times as likely to cause my death than what they were flying?

Statistics of any kind are not deterministic. An obvious factor in flying is that statistics include pilots who manage the risk reasonably well, and others who don't. In simpler terms, the pilot is the biggest factor in the risk equation. That's why accident investigations most often conclude "pilot error" rather than "flying a Lancair"

Also, you cannot determine an individual pilots relative risk of dying between two types of airplane simply by comparing the stall speed^2. That is not valid math at all. If it were, the airlines would have much poorer fatality rates than GA. Also, in that case you should sell your RV7 and getting an RV9, because by that logic you have increased your chance of dying by 35%.

The important thing is understanding what is driving the statistics and to take deliberate effort to at least minimize the key risk areas, and to do so while compromising your key mission objectives as little as possible.

I respectfully disagree

5. Lancair's do a pretty darn good job of absorbing energy in a crash, as I've seen first hand (a friend locally walked away from a completely totalled Lancair 320 that he built...)

No I strongly disagree and can't let that stand.

If you look at the stress-strain diagram (energy under the curve) composite does NOT absorb energy, that is the problem. I takes as much as it can, than splits like an egg. Metal will bend, yield, absorbed. Composites are stiff and brittle.

More important is the stall speed. I have never seen or heard of a Glasair or Lancair stall at 55mph (not knots). Energy is energy. Obviously the key is not to crash or lose power than the point is moot.

As far as speed many 160hp and 180hp glasair's and small 320/360 lancairs are NOT much faster than RV's. I say "much". I am talking a dozen mph. In some cases Glasairs FT or TD's are slower than RV's. The speed of glasair's and lancairs are over-rated. Now in racing there are two guys that campaign some TG glasairs that win in their class over RV's consistently, but not by huge margins.

I agree there is the potential for slightly less drag with the a glasair/lancair especially with retracts, BUT retracts often have mis-rigged doors, losing some some of their benifit if not perfect. Even on a good day they only save 7 mph. For that you get lots of maintence, insurance, weight and the possibility of gear ups. The RV streamlined fixed gear is a thing of beauty, simplicity and design. I agree if you want to start to get into the 250 mph range than retracts are a must. The Fixed gear Glasairs are OK but the TD is a handful (very short coupled and early ones had small vert stab / rudders). Older 320/360's only come in retract I recall. The new fixed Lancair is an expensive kit plane.

Last is the intangible FUN FACTOR. RV's have delightful light controlled feel and harmony. Glasairs have terrible feel and stiff controls. Aerobatics in a glasair/lancair? Marginal and no where near the ability and fun of a RV.

With that said if all you want to do is fly from super slab to super slab runway straight and level than the glue and string planes are pretty good. There are deals on old Glasairs but beware. How do you inspect and repair all that composite structure. Metal is durable and easy to inspect and repair.

My suggestion is have your friend FLY FLY THEM. HOW DOES HE KNOW IF HE DOES NOT TEST FLY. I think after he flys the RV he will go that way. Why are there over 5000 RV flying?

PS seating position. In the old Glass planes you lay down with your legs streatched out like you are in a soap box durby car (do they still have those). It is not my preference for seating. RV's are the most comfortable of the small homebuilts.

Last edited:
Performance? A lancair is faster BUT WITH A BIG GAS Thirsty engine. Also if comparing their fixed gear planes they are only 15 mph faster, with the aforementioned gas hog engine. Big deal.

QUOTE]

Greetings George,

I can't help but ask a question on your post...how do you figure that a Lancair 320/360 or Glasair I (or II) has a BIG GAS Thirsty engine? If you're not factoring in a Lancair Legacy or Glasair III, most RV's, Lancair's and Glasair's all share the same engines (Lyc O-320's/360's). How is one different than the other?

I keep thinking back to a post by Dan C when he was flying with two friends, one in a Lancair 360 and one in a Glasair (both with the same engine as his -7) and his comments were that "they put me to serious shame cruise-wise. I boast about my RV's economy, but these guys are going considerably faster at any given power setting."

http://www.rvproject.com/20050426.html

Ok, not to dump on all the Legacy drivers here, but thats NOT what the OP is looking at.

His price range will put him in a Lancair 235/320 (converted) or maybe a OLD ratty 320 (wingtips and cowl is different I believe).

It could put him in a nice FG Glasair I, or a middle of the road Glasair I RG.

It could put him into a Perfect RV-4, or an average RV-6/6a

Confined to those choices, I'll just point a few observations of mine out:

1. The rough-field capabilities of the RV aren't really his mission, scratch that.
2. Insurance checkouts and annual premiums would be higher with the retracts, finding instruction in type is difficult and expensive.
3. No stock-ish RV can match the economy of a well-built Lancair/Glasair under the same conditions, it's called drag.
4. Flying any of the these birds in IFR is difficult, although i'd give the edge to the Glasair with long wingtips installed, at least it's pretty stable in roll. Still, not his mission I think.
6. If you have the old nosegear on an RV, tighten your shoulder harness or risk putting you head through your EFIS unit when it flips over.

Yep, Legacy is out of the price range. Careful when you say "320." There are two Lancair airframes, the 200/235 (on which some people mounted a 320) and the 320/360. Tall people don't fit well in the 235.

The OP is a low-time pilot, less than 300 hours. In good conscience I would not recommend a 235 to a low-time pilot, "low time" being defined by the insurance companies as less than 500 hours TT, no IFR rating, and less than 50(?)hrs. instrument time. It isn't that they CAN'T do it, just that if the mission is cross-country they will either get more tired hand-flying or will rely on an autopilot which doesn't build their skill. I have well over a million bucks worth of taxpayer provided flight training, and hand-flying the 235 in the soup was a handful for me. My flight examiner says I have GREAT hands (on a very choppy day in the soup: +/- 50 feet; +/- 5 knots of chosen airspeed; +/- a few degrees of determined heading) but I was working hard for that level of control. A low-time pilot with autopilot failure in the soup might get behind that airplane on a precision instrument approach, and I talked several candidates OUT of purchasing that plane.

That leaves the 320/360. Again, for a low time pilot there are challenges getting insured, but it is actually a more stable airplane to fly in the soup. When you talk about "crashes" there are two types - Off field landings and actual crashes. Part of the difference in accident statistics between Lancairs and RVs is due to the mission flown - I believe you will find far more IFR crashes among Lancairs simply because more Lancair owners equip their aircraft for IFR and fly IFR. For real off-field landings, I do like the option of landing gear-up rather than gear down to avoid flipping on land or water, but I also like slower landing speed. You takes your pick and lives with it.

Now, that bit about Ramp Appeal... My wife and I landed at KGFL one day they just happened to be having their annual air show. Two RVs landed in front of me. They parked the RVs 200 yards away in the grass, and marshaled me right in front of the terminal building as part of the static display. Guess which airplane had the most people "Ooo-ing" and "Ahh-ing" over it?

:D :cool:

I don't own any of them, have flown only a few of them, one thing I know is all aircraft are a bunch of compromises flying around in close formation. A few other facts -

1. The best selling TC'd single is glass
2. All current production sailplanes are glass
3. The Boeing 787 is glass and other composites
4. The RV's are not necessarily better at aerobatics than some glass ships. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-_LR4ogmw
5. There has never been an in-flight breakup of a Glasair
6. My experience repairing major damage to glass sailplanes and metal gliders and planes proves to me that glass is much, much, easier to repair. Ever try compound curves in metal. How to you say English Wheel?

I think the RV's are wonderful aircraft and don't have many compromises, but I also think aluminum is not the future in light aircraft. Just as sure as glass has all but replaced round gages, composites will replace aluminum sheet and rivets whether we like it or not.

All that said, would I build an RV given the chance? Sure, but I'd look very hard at Glasair (not Lancair) before I started. Why not Lancair? It's compromises don't fit with what I want in an aircraft.

Choices are wonderful!

Don

Nice link to Dan's page. You see that pretty yellow Lancair 320? Thats the airplane that got totalled. Engine quit at 50' and 140Kts just as the gear came up.

George I'm not saying that composite MATERIAL absorbs impact well, but the design of the Lancair protects the occupant by allowing things like the stub wings and other parts to absorb the energy. I saw the airplane after the crash, and what happened, and talked to the pilot first hand. You'd swear that it was a fatal crash if you didn't know who was flying it.

breister Thats why I said 235/320 (converted), because those are the ones that SEEM like a good deal when you are shopping if you haven't done research.

Control harmony aside, the Glasair is really a better cross-country machine than the RV.

(84/55)^2 = 233% more energy

Doug.

First, square, not square root

Facts? You want facts? My 125 HP Lancair cruises at 197 mph TAS at 5.7 gph at 14,500 dalt; that's 34.5 mpg. It stalls at 63 mph; (63/55)^2=131% more energy, not 233%! Great economy, great looks! But I like RVs, too. I design props for them! They're great planes! But, please, tell it like it truly is!