ShannonEvans

In my hope to own an RV at some point I have been thinking about a few things & was wondering. Note, I am not a builder, I would be buying one already flying. It seems to me that the RV-8/8a would best suit my mission. However, I would really want at least 180hp with 200 prefered.

I see people always redoing the panel, but how hard is it to do other mods. For example.

1) I get a flying RV-8 & want to add a Sam James Cowl. Is this worth the effort & expense?

2) Purchase RV-8 with 160hp engine, fly it awhile then change to 0/i0-360 lyc. Is it worth the trouble.

I notice the io-320 birds are much cheaper, but my experiance in SW Kansas with brand C & P with these engines is they are under powered. (YES I KNOW THE RV IS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL).:D.

Point is there will need to likely be some compramises on the initial purchase with the hope of upgrades later.

Anyone been down this road. Where did you compramise & what would you do different.

Shannon Evans
N5650S

"1) I get a flying RV-8 & want to add a Sam James Cowl. Is this worth the effort & expense?

2) Purchase RV-8 with 160hp engine, fly it awhile then change to 0/i0-360 lyc. Is it worth the trouble."

1) Good question. I have not determined that it would be worth it on my 6A so have not done it. Maybe it is. I just don't have credible data.

2) Not in my opinion. Buy the 180 HP or better initially. Also Constant Speed prop.

Those kind of modifications are a huge job, especially for someone that did not build the airplane. I would recommend you buy or build the airplane the way you want it or as close as possible to that.

Personally, I would not consider an O-320, for any two seat RV, underpowered at all.

If you purchase an O-320 RV, the ECi IO-340 is a good higher power solution, and a CS prop can be added at the same time.

If you DO buy an O-320 to (i)O-360 coversion in the future, THAT would be the time to do the SJ cowl. Don't fit a cowl on a O-320, on an airplane you want to put an O-360 in.

...I notice the io-320 birds are much cheaper, but my experiance in SW Kansas with brand C & P with these engines is they are under powered. (YES I KNOW THE RV IS A DIFFERENT ANIMAL).:D...

Shannon,

1,400 FPM is double "brand C & P" and 197 MPH is just a little faster than the others. Whats not to like about a 160 HP -8?

Still, try to buy the plane you want up front.