wellsheit

I'm New Here
For the first time builder, how do you guys recommend acquiring all the essential tools? By looking at different build sites, Van's site, etc, most of the required tools listed are the same. I would consider going ahead and ordering a -8 empennage kit this fall and starting it in my garage, with plans to build a real shop out back when taxes come back in the spring. Alas, I'm afraid the expense of tools is going to far surpass the cost of the empennage kit. I'm really starting with none of the bare essentials I know I will need, such as a good compressor, etc. A few sites, such as THIS ONE offer these bundles of tools, but at $2500, that will definitely be over what I can afford to put into this project this year. I suspect I can get many of these items from Horrible Freight, but as most of you know, you get what you pay for when it comes to tools.

Thanks for opinions/suggestions.

-Brad

Buy 'em used

I have been buying tools off this list. I got what essentially amounted to a complete kit for $800. All it lacked was a drill and a few odds and ends. Just jump on a post when you see it, 'cause the good deals go quickly.

Yep - I bought most of my aircraft-specific tools in a package from another builder who was done with them, just watch the classifieds here and be ready to move fast - they don't last long.

The kit from Brown Tool is pretty complete and will definately get you up and running for a budget price. As you go there will be some additional items you will want, but those aren't required. One note, their kit does not include a drilled-hole deburring tool, so be sure to add one.

On top of that, some basic had tools like wrenches, hacksaw, clamps, rat-tail files should do. A drill press, compressor, and large vice are all the large tools you should have. You can also use the drill press to mount the deburring wheel so a bench grinder is not required. I recommend getting a good combination bench belt / disk sander, it will be a big time saver.

The CP drill that comes with the brown kit works great, as does the supplied rivet gun. The kit also includes the Avery c-frame dimpler so you are covered there also. Tools like a pneumantic squeezer and DRDT-2 are handy, but not required. In fact, I have a DRDT-2, but almost never use it since I like the c-frame better.

I bought the Avery kit and did a bit of customization. Deleted a bunch of tools I didn't need and added some others that I wanted. Definitely get a tungsten bucking bar and a pneumatic squeezer with a variety of yokes and the adjustable set. They did the standard discount on the kit even though it was a unique set of tools. No matter what you get now, you will still need to buy more tools as you build. I have lots of Harbor Freight stuff along with the quality stuff.

For the first time builder, how do you guys recommend acquiring all the essential tools? By looking at different build sites, Van's site, etc, most of the required tools listed are the same. I would consider going ahead and ordering a -8 empennage kit this fall and starting it in my garage, with plans to build a real shop out back when taxes come back in the spring. Alas, I'm afraid the expense of tools is going to far surpass the cost of the empennage kit. I'm really starting with none of the bare essentials I know I will need, such as a good compressor, etc. A few sites, such as THIS ONE offer these bundles of tools, but at $2500, that will definitely be over what I can afford to put into this project this year. I suspect I can get many of these items from Horrible Freight, but as most of you know, you get what you pay for when it comes to tools.

Thanks for opinions/suggestions.

-Brad

Your best tool at this point is probably the search button on this site. There are many hours of reading on aquiring tools with very little change in technology or vendors. And just a thought, if $2500 for tools scares you now, you may not be ready to tackle a project like this. The tool I would recommend to start with is a financial plan and a budget.
Good Luck!

Thanks for suggestions. I will check out a few more of these bundles.

The $2500 does not scare me. I'm finally settled into my new home and can finally begin devoting my resources to this project. My financial layout has me starting with the empennage around this time next year. Yet I'm scratching for any means to get a head start and get going. Fully prepared to put 60k+ in this build over the next 5 years. With that being said, if I can get the tools for a better deal, you can bet a nickel I'll take the better deal!

Thanks again.

Avery

I went with Avery. That kit has been pretty complete for me. The biggest omission is the lack of reamers, IMHO. Some other nice things are pneumatic squeezer for those -4 rivets (me and a friend went in on a used one so I have 1/4 of the retail price in mine.)
A couple of cheap add-ons:
Permagrit for fiberglass and drill 'cups', nut sure of the name but helps you drill a hole that is square to the surface for #40 and #30 drills.

I bought all my tools new and I am glad I did, because I like using good shiny new tools. And as you observed, you can pay more for a set of tools to build the empennage than the empennage kit is worth.

However, if your startup budget is small, then you need to get creative. Once you know the kind of tools you want, by all means try to buy used. This applies to compressors, drill press, bench grinder, and the various air and hand tools that you need. Try the new machinery dealers in your area, quite often they take trades of used machinery (compressors, drill press etc.). Also try your local airport for aircraft (or missile?) maintenance or fabrication shops and see if they are selling off used air or hand tools. Sometimes these tools are controlled by a tool crib, sometimes they are owned by individuals, you just have to ask lots of questions. For example, Boeing in Seattle has a surplus sales outlet and they sell all kinds of stuff, some of it actually useful if you know what you're looking for. It's about a 3 hour drive from my house, so it is possible to get there and back in a day. Also some deals available on eBay.

Be aware that building an airplane is really an excuse to buy tools, you'll be buying them throughout the project. But the startup set is probably the biggest drain on your tool budget.

I would rather buy quality used (but not worn out) tools than new cheap offshore manufactured tools. My main watchword when buying tools is: can you buy spare parts for them if you break something.

Finally on rivet guns, buy the best quality one(s) (new or used) you can afford, you'll be using them a lot. I started with a 2x gun and found it wasn't enough to drive 1/8" rivets properly and ended up buying a 3x gun which was a revelation in how much more energy it put out. Look for something that has an anti-vibration feature (counter piston inside) as riveting is hard on your hands/wrists/forearms.

If you want to go cheap...

... you don't really NEED a compressor if you don't intend to buy an expensive pneumatic squeezer. A hand squeezer does the job, even more if you can find a used Cleveland Main Squeeze.
Most other air tools can be replaced by their electric counterparts.
- A good and fast spinning electric drill will do a nice job
- An electric HVLP gun will work fine for priming parts if you don't want to use expensive spray cans
- A Dremmel can be used instead of a die grinder most of the time
Now I hope my wife will never read this post that ruins all the arguments I used to justify buying all the tools I could:D
Good luck with your search

Last edited:
If you want to just get a kit of tools and get going, then by all means you could choose any of the $2500 kits from ABC (Avery, Brown, or Cleveland) and get going. If you don't mind taking the time, for the same money you can build up a better overall set by buying the best bits from each dealer piecemeal. Watch for sales on pneumatic squeezers, they're great. Buy one used and save even more money, they're hard to damage. Chicago Pneumatic makes an air mini palm drill that's tiny, light, cheap, and more than adequate for RV building.

Also, look for recommendations here and on the RV-Lists for good tools from Harbour Freight. They usually have really cheap and dirty tools, but some of them are quite good despite their frugal construction. Maybe not good enough for building multiple Boeings, but for a single RV project they'll last long enough.

Stupid me

I simply forgot that the rivet gun is pneumatic:eek:
Sorry about the stupid advice, you definitely need a compressor at least for the rivet gun.:eek: