randylervold

I'm renewing my insurance this month and fighting with my insurance company which happens to be the EAA program but through a local agent. They use "time in type" as a key factor in determining premiums. While I have only 94 hours in RV-3s I have nearly 500 hours in all RVs yet they are not wanting to recognize that. Can anyone tell me if their insurance company considers all RVs as one type?

thanks!

Insurance Mimsurance

Randy, seems I've been a little "involved" with insurance here lately............

Try calling Travers & Associates Aviation Insurance, 800-888-9859, they use AIG........I have been pleased with the service.....more to follow soon.

Nationair

My coverage is underwritten by Global through Nationair and they did not care about type only RV time, same as DR.

I also have Nationair and for me they did care. I have 500+ RV-6 hours and they refused to recognize that as time in type" in reference to insuring my RV-8. Maybe it depends what day you call.

I also have 500+ hrs in RV6, 7, 6A, and 7A's AIG would not consider any of this time to insure my 8A. It will be looking hard when it comes time to renew.
Dick

Same here with Nationair, they wanted time in exact type only...I thought I'd introduce some competition and called Avemco...their quote came in a little over twice what Nationair's did. That made the decision pretty easy, but sure left me feeling like I'd wasted my time getting another quote.

Hours in Type

AIG is now looking at all similar RV hours as one group. So all RV tail wheel hours can be added together and all RV-A model hours can be added together, excluding the RV-10 this is in a seperate group due to having 4 seats.

Jenny Estes
NationAir Aviation Insurance
(877) 475-5860

Looks like it depends on the company Randy - I got added to Louise's -6 policy (can't remember the company off-hand) for no charge, with a grand total of about 4 hours in -6's (and 750 hours in -8's).

Paul

AIG is now looking at all similar RV hours as one group. So all RV tail wheel hours can be added together and all RV-A model hours can be added together, excluding the RV-10 this is in a seperate group due to having 4 seats.

Jenny Estes
NationAir Aviation Insurance
(877) 475-5860
Jenny,

That is a most reasonable method of viewing RV time, kudos to AIG. Is this only AIG, or does Global use that method as well?

Kudos also to you for monitoring this forum and interjecting where appropriate. I will contact you directly tomorrow regarding my renewal.

Last edited:
The EAA's insurance company (Global) was hung up on "time-in-type" for me, too. Time in an RV-6A and RV-7A didn't count when it came time to insure my -9A.

Steve