jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
Insurance company says I need 10hrs with a CFI that has over 250hrs tailwheel and 100hrs RV tailwheel.

After that another 15hrs can be in my plane (RV7)...

ANY SUGGESTIONS for a CFI in the GORGIA area?

Thanks

Insurance requirements for tailwheel

Care to share who your Insurance provider is?
That seems a tad high to me.
(did they offer any other options?)

Does the 10 hours of Dual count against the 15 hours of PIC if you provide your tailwheel for the dual?

I know a few local pilots that recently purchased tailwheel planes. (mostly non-RV types) I haven't heard any of them mention anything other than about 5 hours of transition training. (not sure if they held a prior tailwheel endorsement but, my guess is not)
But then, I didn't make it a point to ask either.. :rolleyes:
Guess I'll ask them when we cross paths as I'd like to get a tailwheel endorsement later this year.. (Just for the fun of flying one)

Tail Dragger Instruction Georgia

For RV tail dragger instruction try Kent Gorton 314 368 6007. He is about 20 miles south of ATL.

He helped me out.

Steve
RV8

Tailwheel instructor with RV tail time....

That's what makes it tough. Pierre, although he has plenty of tailwheel time, doesn't have RV tailwheel time I don't believe. Doug Ripley comes to mind, but not sure he's got a tailwheel RV available. He's up at Air Acres.

Last edited:
Thanks All-

Pierre doesn't have a tailwheel available; he referred me to Kahuna...
Kahuna referred me to Doug Ripley
Doug Ripley qualifies but doesn't have a tailwheel RV and is on the north side of town. He referred me to Kent Gorton here on the South side of town.
I put a call into Kent today....

I'm not clear if the 1st 10 hours HAS to be in a RV, but guys that have the RV tail time might have a tail RV to instruct.

The next 15hrs I can do with Vern Darley in my plane at KFFC. Vern doesn't have the RV tailwheel instruction time (250tail/100rv tail). I have about 24hrs transition time with him in his RV6a.

The last 10 hours solo in my plane before passengers- all this from Nationair for a whopping $2400 a year for the 1st year. That's with AOPA/EAA 5% discount.

Any other suggestions....

JCMcDowell -

Are you down in the PTC area? I'm building in Sharpsburg - very close to KFFC!

PTC?

I'm working in Atlanta building houses and lofts and have a hangar at Falcon Field I rent from another RV'er.

LOTS of RV's here-

Graduated from Tech in '93 I.D BS ARCH

Here's a thought...

Add Doug to your policy, his RV tailwheel time may put him in it with no restrictions. Then ya'll can make some arrangements to do the time in your plane. Might work out, might not. Just a thought.

Thanks for the offer, but I found someone closer to home!

A little digging and thanks to:

Pierre Smith, Mike Stewart, Doug Ripley, which finally led to:

Kent Gorton RV6 transition training
Mallards Landing Area
I have tailwheel/transition training lined up next week!

A special Thanks to Vern Darley at the Falcon RV Squadron for all his help, inspecting, guidance, training, and support! Vern is certainly an ambassador for General Aviation!

RV Instructor.

Kent gave me my RV checkout. Very thorough, patient, good instructor and all around good guy. For a few extra bucks he even flew up to my field to do the checkout so I wouldn't have to fight the atlanta traffic.

jcmcdowell said:
I'm working in Atlanta building houses and lofts and have a hangar at Falcon Field I rent from another RV'er.

LOTS of RV's here-

Graduated from Tech in '93 I.D BS ARCH

BSME 2006 here. I've met a few of the Falcon Squadron guys. Congrats on finding someone close by that can help with your transition training.

List him.......

mannanj said:
Kent gave me my RV checkout. Very thorough, patient, good instructor and all around good guy. For a few extra bucks he even flew up to my field to do the checkout so I wouldn't have to fight the atlanta traffic.

Hi Mannan,
I'm current in TD RV's but haven't had access to one. Be sure and encourage Kent to get listed on here under Transition training because I get calls all the time for tailwheel instruction.

Thanks,
Pierre

Maybe

Thanks Robby,
I might take you up since Brian is about 4-6 weeks away from his inspection of his -4. The wings are on and all gear fairings will be done by this weekend.

Pierre