HURMANAV8R

Yep, just call me crazy, most people do. But I love the RV8, building mine with the Fastback Kit and I am going with the “Super 8” mod. I know Vans looks down on this, they hate it, but hey, I can buy and have a 540 in my plane with a prop for much less than a 360.

The speeds in this year’s Sports Class, not Super Sport, are well within the performance specs. It puts me mid pack, but mid pack is a good start.
I have raced out there before, in an Unlimited Class plane, but I am pretty sure that with some TLC and careful building I could make this happen.

OK everybody chime in here, I want to here your opinion and ideas, that’s why I posted.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Michael, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

I also want a super 8, and with a ShowPlanes fast back.

Sounds like you are building my dream plane.

Good luck with your build and welcome to the family.

Just remember, you can get to Vne pretty fast with that 540 out front and the nose pointed down. Heck, I had to watch it in my Rocket and there's less margin in the RV-8 airframe.

Anyway, they are lots of fun so I look forward to seeing some build pictures.

Good to have you on board. We can always use more planes in Sport Class but truthfully, even a very modified RV8 with a 540 is nowhere close to being even mid class here any more. The fastest are averaging 360+ mph now. To even average 250 means level speeds of at least 270mph once the turns and Gs are factored in.

By all means, we'd like to see you out there though!:)

The Barnes' Stormer (Super Six)

700 hours and climbing yet not one, air frame or engine issue since day one of Phase one. However we won't talk about my electrical. I found the 540 is an excellent match to an appropiately modified airframe. To be safe, don't exceed Van's G limitations, adjusted for weight. Don't fly past VNE.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"