To develop an RV specific aerobatic maneuver card?

• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomVal

Well Known Member
In an attempt to standardize how we fly RV specific aerobatic maneuvers, would you support an “aerobatic maneuver description card” specific to our aircraft? We could ask our ICAS qualified pilots to draft a series of cards describing the mechanics of how to fly each maneuver. The assumption would be that the aircraft is flown solo and within the aerobatic cg limits of the aircraft and that the pilot has received previous aerobatic flight training prior to aerobatic test flying his or her aircraft.

There are more elements to discuss such as the specific maneuver list, HP, propeller type, model specific instructions or would a general card apply to all aerobatic models. The maneuver description would also include notes and warnings, throttle/rpm management, altitude gain and/or loss to expect, etc. Below is an example of outstanding advice being given by one of our very qualified pilots from Team RV, Ron Schreck:

Eric,

Excellent post. Regarding the out-of-control recovery for an RV. Four steps will recover from any type of spin or departure situation.

1. Throttle - idle
2. FORCE controls to neutral
3. Wait for 100 knots
4. Recover from the dive

I emphasize "FORCE" the controls to neutral in the second step because I have found that when my RV is in a developed spin (which may take four or five turns) the stick will stay firmly in my lap (full aft) when released. It takes concerted effort to FORCE the stick to the neutral position.

This simple 4-step procedure works in every case. While you may have a quicker recovery if you put full rudder opposite the spin, it is sometimes difficult to determine which way you are spinning. More than one experienced aerobatic pilot has held the wrong rudder all the way to the ground! This procedure works no matter what direction you are spinning or whether you are upright or inverted.

I can't take credit for this. I took spin training from Bill Finnegan in his Pitts S2-C a few years ago. I applied the procedure to my RV and found it to be very effective in upright and inverted spins with recovery in the neighborhood of 900 to 1200 feet.

Applying that experience to the question at hand; I would say that 1500 feet is the minimum altitude that I would be comfortable when trying an unfamiliar maneuver that I think has any chance in degrading into uncontrolled flight if I blow it. I do have a SAC card with a surface waiver, however as Eric pointed out, all of our maneuvers are designed to be performed well above the surface and we only approach the surface with plenty of speed and little G-loading on the aircraft.

An observer on the ground is very helpful. We videotape all of our performances and many of our practice sessions and we often critique aerobatic maneuvers via a hand-held radio. Maneuvers done at 4000 feet cannot be judged from the ground.

If you are not comfortable doing aerobatics at 1500 feet, by all means go higher! I would suggest to anyone starting out that you get professional instruction first! You can find your comfort zone safely with an instructor on board.

Just floating this one out there, what do you think? Would you support an RV specific aerobatic maneuver card?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I think that is a wonderful idea. I don't think you find anyone opposed. I hope to dabble in a contest or two this summer if my schedule allows.

Thanks for doing this!

Tom, nothing wrong with that idea, but realize that the RV is just another aerobatic airplane, and there really aren't many special techniques or procedures specific to maneuvers in an RV. They are fast and have a wide range of airspeeds that work for a lot of different maneuvers. There are many ways to do maneuvers from lazy fun flopping to precise competition quality figures. There are a bunch of ways to do even a basic aileron roll. It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish and to what level of precision you want to hold your flying to. That being said, I'd love to see more folks share their acro experiences and techniques, so that others may learn from the info. Acro is acro (in any airplane), and of course it should be clear that what you're proposing is not a "cookbook" for self-taught acro. Not sure about the "standardized" concept though, since like I said, techniques vary with mission.

Aerobatics

Hi everyone
Since we're talking about aerobatics,I have a question for you.

Are there any good schools that you guys will recommand ( Specially in the Northeast) where I could get good instruction.

Here in the Montreal area, there is no school that I know off.My plan so far was to go to Tucker's school in California in the spring or to Mike Goulian's but if there are more, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca

Hi everyone
Since we're talking about aerobatics,I have a question for you.

Are there any good schools that you guys will recommand ( Specially in the Northeast) where I could get good instruction.

Here in the Montreal area, there is no school that I know off.My plan so far was to go to Tucker's school in California in the spring or to Mike Goulian's but if there are more, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

Bruno
rv4@videotron.ca

Operators maintained by the IAC:

http://www.iacusn.org/schools/index.php

I would like to thank everyone that responded to the poll. With only 25 respondents it is difficult to draw any meaningful conclusion other than the small sample group showed a 5:1 ratio in favor of an RV specific maneuver card. Also, topics of interest usually generate a level of PM?s to the OP. In this case, there were zero inputs.

At any rate, as I stated in post 1, I just floated this one out there, thanks for participating.

Regards and Merry Christmas to All,
Tom