Joepilott

I'm New Here
Hi,

Another newbie here.

I used to own a Piper Lance (short time) and a Baron. Over the past couple of years I've looked into various planes...Controller and a glass of wine can be very entertaining! Anyway, I've spent time on some owners forums researching and learning about various makes. Seems many planes have their issues; corrosion, expensive limited parts from bankrupt companies, spar cracks, AD's a mile long, leaky fuel tanks, expensive mx issues on overly redundant SE planes, etc. But after surfing around this forum, I'm not seeing a common weakness/expense in Van's planes. At least don't see many folks complaining about the same thing.

I'm definately not going to build, so am I right believing the biggest can of worms for me would be the build/builder? Would a typical prebuy from an EAA member/Vans's expert catch the big things?

Thanks guys and gals! Learned lots of stuff here already!

Joe
(first post)

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hi,

Another newbie here.

Joe
(first post)

Joe, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

First thing I would recommend is for you to get a ride in an RV. Head down to Chino airport-----there are a few RV's there.

As to the design, they are pretty much bulletproof (no, not real bullets) the weak link usually shows up in the workmanship of the builder-----that is when there is a weak link.

Good to have you aboard, enjoy it.:D

A ride will almost certainly convince you that you want an RV. Your initial biggest issue is deciding which model and configuration works for you.

Welcome Joe,

The common expense associated with RVs can be directly attributed to their flight characteristics.

The more you fly them the more you want to fly them. As a result, your avgas expenses tend to grow faster than anticipated. :)

Mike

Welcome Joe,

The common expense associated with RVs can be directly attributed to their flight characteristics.

The more you fly them the more you want to fly them. As a result, your avgas expenses tend to grow faster than anticipated. :)

Mike

Thanks guys. I don't say this in public much, but I even enjoy flying the ratty 152 at the flying club, so I'm sure an RV will be great fun. Plus I'm an avionics junkie, even though my flying is 95% day VFR. Always some new gadget on the market. Crank up the money pump!!!

Mike[/QUOTE]

I can second that:

First year budget 100 hours, flew 150

Second year budget 150 hours, flew 200

Third year budget 200 hours, flew 250

Fourth year, gave up on budgeting.....

Seems many planes have their issues; corrosion, expensive limited parts from bankrupt companies, spar cracks, AD's a mile long, leaky fuel tanks, expensive mx issues on overly redundant SE planes, etc. But after surfing around this forum, I'm not seeing a common weakness/expense in Van's planes. At least don't see many folks complaining about the same thing.

Joe some of those issues could be found on RVs too. If you live couple years here on VAF you would know them all. The majority here are builders and we usually don't like to blame ourselves for any problems with our planes. I least in public :) Once in a while a buyer exposes a defect and asks for solutions. We have folks here who know literally EVERYTHING. You just need to catch them in good mood :D

Welcome to VAF and take a ride as was suggested above.

Check out Van's web site and review all of the SB's for the model you intend to buy. However, keep in mind that the SB's are not required, and some may even be arguable at best. However, this will give you a glimpse of some common issues.
Make sure you have someone knowledgable in the specific model you are looking for do a pre buy inspection. There are a few specific things to look for that can give you hints to walk, or run, before you invest a lot of time.
You where right in your comments that the biggest factor is the build/builder. I have seen some excellent aircraft built by first time inexperienced people, and I have seen some real junk built by the "A/P Sheet Metal Expert".
Remember, the lighter machines typically fly better. Beefed up, fancy paint, loaded machines, can get heavy quick, not a steadfast rule, but.... Heavier ariplanes can still fly well. One of my pet peaves is that sellers typically don't publish their empty wieghts. You have to ask. They are quick to sell you on all the "Stuff" they stuffed into them though....
Have fun.

Hi,

I'm definately not going to build, so am I right believing the biggest can of worms for me would be the build/builder? Would a typical prebuy from an EAA member/Vans's expert catch the big things?

Thanks guys and gals! Learned lots of stuff here already!

Joe
(first post)

As a buyer myself, I'd say you have it about right. Once you have found an airplane you've decided will meet your mission, the quality of the build is likely to be the primary concern when it comes to actually making the go/no go decision on purchasing it. That and $$$.

I'm not sure being an EAA member is really that important of a prerequisite though. An A&P for sure, IA even better, and DAR would be great too. Familiarity with RVs at least, and an RV builder would be the best, IMO. It may be expensive, but I can't think of any better dollars to spend than on good inspections, maintenance and flight instruction.

John K

Joe some of those issues could be found on RVs too. If you live couple years here on VAF you would know them all. The majority here are builders and we usually don't like to blame ourselves for any problems with our planes. I least in public :) Once in a while a buyer exposes a defect and asks for solutions. We have folks here who know literally EVERYTHING. You just need to catch them in good mood :D
QUOTE]

Thanks. Airplanes are airplanes. They break. And no matter what forum you're on (Mooney, Beech, Cirrus, Cessna...), 'those' guys think think they have the best machines. You're right, nobody likes to profess the weaknesses in their object of love and investment. Probably not impervious to that here either.... ;) But I try to filter through that and learn about the planes and caveots. When I find one, I'll try to solicit the best advice I can, since I've never owned a RV.

Joe

Repair costs.

Joe, a friend of mine dinged the full length trim tab on a Beech single (It backed into a hangar pole when the brakes failed) and cost?....$2,000 for a good used one.

RV-10 trim tab...maybe $200. the list goes on and on...certified stuff is horrendous to repair or replace....furthermore, you can make a new one yourself!

I own both a certified airplane and my -10...no comparison on parts cost. I just replaced all the belly skins on my 22 year old Air Tractor....$4,000 + labor :eek:

My -10...maybe $500.

Best,