UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - does anyone make a scale model of a side by side RV? My 5 year old son really wants a small toy model of the plane that dad's building out in the garage. I did some searching and so far have come up empty.

Thanks,
UnPossible

I've seen a couple of R/C models. There's this, and there was a plans set from Radio Control Modeller a few years back. I've also seen wooden desktop models, usually available through eBay. No toys that I know of, though.

Hey - does anyone make a scale model of a side by side RV? My 5 year old son really wants a small toy model of the plane that dad's building out in the garage. I did some searching and so far have come up empty.

Thanks,
UnPossible
I have seen a few wooden models on the market. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for and they are kind of pricey. A quick search yields some on E-Bay and this one http://www.aviationmodelworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1147

Thanks for pointing out the ebay links... I have seen the wooden models, but I am hoping to find something less expensive that I can let my 5yr old play with... I thought with RVs being the most popular experimental aircraft, someone would have to make a small, inexpensive, diecast model.

Thanks,
Jason

I have seen a few wooden models on the market. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for and they are kind of pricey. A quick search yields some on E-Bay and this one http://www.aviationmodelworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1147

Tower Hobbies

Tower Hobbies has a 4. www.towerhobbies.com. This is a RC model but not too big.

FYI, Scott Will and I have been discussing developing a large scale RC RV. I believe the number Scott came up with was about 42% give or take. Power would be a 100-150CC motor. We even have a model company interested in kitting the plane.

Scott, we've got to get back on it.

FYI, Scott Will and I have been discussing developing a large scale RC RV. I believe the number Scott came up with was about 42% give or take. Power would be a 100-150CC motor. We even have a model company interested in kitting the plane.

Scott, we've got to get back on it.

I would LOVE to see this!!! Keep at it!!

Last edited:
I was interested in doing a 1/4 scale and using the O.S. Pegasus (4-stroke semi-scale Lycoming) but then I figured one expensive project at a time...

To combat "rivet-withdrawl", I started drawing up plans for a large scale model of my 6A. It is designed around a 3.0 Saito twin four stroke that I have. Not sure what I came up with as a scale factor off the top of my head. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3. I haven't done any drawing on it for awhile so I forget.

I have the fuselage drawing pretty much done. Since I am trying to fly as much as I can, it has been put on hold for the summer. Hope to get the plans all done by this winter.

Should make a sweet model.

Regards,

will be jobless soon

yes... I have a very good 2D CAD model and was working on making a 3D model when life again happened. In about 6 weeks, I'll be voluntarily jobless (leaving Delta) while I find a flying job so I have lots of time on my hands to get back working on the RC RV. In the meantime, at least I've earned my instrument and soon to be commercial ticket.

Think From the Perspective of a 5 Year Old

I remember very well how I felt about airplanes at that time and mine was not something like an RC model. I wanted something that I could hold in my hand and "fly" with graceful paths defined by the movement of my arms - peel off, dives, low altitude straffing runs, smooth landings. It was two solid wood clothes pins interlocked. I think if you really want you son to feel proud you might consider making him a small solid balsa model with no more than a 6" wingspan. Not something clunky with no airfoil and no smooth rounded edges. The three view in your plans book should give you sufficient dimensional reference to make him something that will be deeply appreciated and enjoyed.

Then again, when I was 5 years old Pearl Harbor was attacked ... things were different then. I may be wrong about what children of today think about.

Bob Axsom