rv7boy

Forum Peruser
Oh me, here's an RV-3 runway excursion at OSH. Even though the news wire describes it as a "crash," it sounds like the pilot is okay. I sure hope so.

Let's all be careful on the way to and from Airventure.

Don

Last edited:
I got this e-mail from a guy that was there and saw it.

Saw it. She was landing down wind with a 8-10kt tailwind. Looked like she got slow, dropped it in, caught a wing and cartwheeled. They took her out in a squad but no info on her status.

There was also a Commanche gear up yesterday with no injuries.

Bob

Like I said in another post. WATCH YOUR AIRSPEED. The controllers at OSH may put you on a downwind runway. You may be landing WITH THE WIND. You must keep your airspeed up and forget about ground reference for speed.

Last edited:
RV runway excursion

I know the pilot.

She is bruised but it sounds like no permanent damage.

It sounds like the airplane is now a parts donor.

I know the pilot.

She is bruised but it sounds like no permanent damage.

It sounds like the airplane is now a parts donor.

Give her my best. Hope she is okay. Like they say any landing you can walk away from............

Why the FAA controllers land planes downwind is just beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
Give her my best. Hope she is okay. Like they say
Will do

This isn't all that uncommon at OSH, as smooth flow of traffic is the primary consideration. It's really hard to turn the airport around when there are 15 or 20 planes on the downwind simultaneously.

However, we all need to remember that you can and should refuse a clearance that you don't feel is safe. I'm planning on arriving next week in a AirCam, which has significantly lower crosswind (and especially tailwind) limits than the RVs. I'll be watching the windsock carefully.

Downwind

Give her my best. Hope she is okay. Like they say any landing you can walk away from............

I couldn't agree with you more! Really, really too bad.

AirCam, which has significantly lower crosswind (and especially tailwind) limits than the RVs. I'll be watching the windsock carefully.

I am curious as to why the aircam would have a low tailwind limit.

Milt, my guess is a combination of light wing loading----really light, and high C/G.

Lots of sail area, light weight airframe.

I am curious as to why the aircam would have a low tailwind limit.

Lots of reasons.

A Vso around 30 knots with a typical touchdown speed of 35 or so.

HUGE tail volume.

Limited aileron authority, especially at low speeds.

High center of gravity.

With even a tiny bit of tailwind, then airplane can quickly become a handful. Fortunately, it's got way more power than it needs, and cobbing the throttles will launch you back into the air almost instantly for another try.

The big tail and rudder will allow nice touchdowns in pretty fair crosswind, but it's a lot of work as you slow down.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3981/airtoair090603hs3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Communicating with ATC

There is a very handy word that PIC's can use when communicating with ATC. The word should be used judiciously, and only when really necessary. That word is: "UNABLE".

When a pilot uses that word, ATC can not require the pilot to perform the requested or assigned operation. They must provide alternatives, or you might elect to go somewhere else to land where the winds are not unsafe.

Very handy word, stops ATC in their tracks, when necessary.:cool:

I am curious as to why ATC sent her on a downwind landing. Its not like the sky is full of airplanes there.........yet. I was there Wednesday and it was like being at any normal airport as far as traffic goes.

I think I heard the Commanche crash. Heard an engine power up and then the sound of metal on pavement.

My condolences to the pilot and wish her a speedy emotional recovery as the physical thankfully isn't too bad by the sound of it. Get back up ASAP before you think about it too much, lesson learned then move on.:eek:

Now in hopes I don't duplicate this move with my first flight into OSH:
What should I consider my downwind limit for a -4 that I've never really landed with much downwind??

With all the good advice flying around for OSH one piece I took to heart is don't fly a maneuver you haven't done/practiced 10 times. Slightly conservative but good advice for sure. I think I get the aerodynamics concerning this but to review: ground speed will be MUCH higher with a 10 kt tailwind (if landing AS is 50 then with headwind would provide 40kt touchdown but tailwind would be 60 kt GS touchdown for a whopping 50% increase in typical touch down GS. Lots more energy. Also, as the plane slows the rudder will loose effectiveness at a very high ground speed compared to normal operations so be ready to use differential braking to maintain control. Keep in mind that as the rudder dies that a quartering tailwind will have a large effect in pushing the tail around.

Gota go (darn job:D) but thats what comes to mind. Advice?

I think I heard the Commanche crash. Heard an engine power up and then the sound of metal on pavement.

Was this actually a Comanche? There's a Raven 500 (Comanche in fiberglass) on the prelim page that states it' "lost control".

Don't mean to take a tangent in the thread...just curious if anyone knows.

I am glad to hear that there were no serious injuries in either of the incidents...

Not sure Chad. I was just going by a previous post. I was in the campground setting up "Chez Painless" when I heard what sounded like trouble.

Whatever it was, it was not a pleasant sound....:(

I suppose it could have been something that looked just like a Commanche. Hard to say from the distance they were keeping us from the plane. Prop was bent up but no sign of anything else amiss besides the fact that the fuselage was sitting on the turf. Previous poster was correct in the sound - engine rev right before the big thump.

Interesting coincidence that the planes from both situations came to rest within a couple hundred feet of each other.

Bob

I met the lady on Sunday night - very nice lady and she seemed to be trying to enjoy the show and not think about what had happened a few days before.

Chad - Not sure if it was a Comanche or Raven, but I did see it being towed off on a flat-bed nose down. :(

Commanache/Raven

FWIW I saw the Raven late (1740 hrs) 7/28 and spoke to the owner. The airplane was fine at that time. The performance numbers on that plane are truly impressive. Having put 2000 hours on a "B" made a Commanche fan of me. This plane sounds better. Bill