n747jg

I have almost 100 hours on my RV-8 and just pulled my Rocket Steering Link out of the 'un-used parts' pile. My initial experience is good, especially during the landing roll out, where stability seems much improved. Does anyone have any experience with the link, or data on safety and/or maintainability?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Gray
N747JG RV-8

Jim,
I put one on my -4 at around 5 hrs and been very happy with mine.....I really like the solid control feel, haven't had any maintaince problems but there is one warning I can give. Be sure not to adjust the link too short, I adjusted mine to absolute limit (I thought) and had it over extend and jam to the inside. Luckily I was on the ground taxiing. Except for the problem I created it has been very good.

Glenn Wilkinson

Jim,

I bought my -6 with the Rocket Steering Link already installed, so it's all I've known (in terms of RV TW time) so maybe a bit of FWIW due here. However, I've found it to be very good in terms of responsiveness (and forgiveness)...a very nice piece of gear!.

I did have that original link break, where the front rod connects to the spring assembly, but when talking with Wayne Hadath (who was super to work with), he said that some of the older links had broken there, and improvements had been made. Wayne sold me a replacement at a substantial discount, even though I wasn't the original purchaser of the product!!

On that second link, the roll pin that separates the two halves of the spring came a little loose, worked its way out a bit to one side, and tore the shrink wrap tube that surrounds the springs. I talked to Wayne, and he was immediately ready (and willing) to send a replacement (entire link), but because he had been so nice about it all, I asked if I could service it. On his suggestion, I used a punch to expand the roll pin a bit, and it's been locked in solid since. Re-greased and re-shrink wrapped the springs, and it looks and works good as new.

Don't want to make it sounds like I feel I've had loads of problems with the link, as I haven't. Just one quite old one (with lot's of landings on it, and huge expansion joints in the taxiways and ramps at my home field beating it up), and one loose roll pin...and I don't believe loose roll pins are a common problem.

But it was easy to service, and I now feel or squeeze that middle portion of the spring assembly as part of my preflight, along with checking the integrity of the rod-end bearings and the whole assembly (easy & quick to check).

Great product, and really great customer service!!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited: