RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have a friend that runs a fundraiser for a local drill team. She asked if I would be willing to offer a ride in the plane as an item to be auctioned off at the fund raiser.

This raises all kinds of questions that I don't know the answers too. I would not be getting paid personally but the organization would make money off a ride they sell. I am not sure how this floats with commercial use of experimental aircraft. I sure don't mind taking someone up on a flight but wonder about this situation.

Has anyone run into this before, if so I would like to know how you handled this.

Cheers
Mike

This activity is not possible without an FAA Petition for Exemption for a commercial activity. And that is exactly what the lawyers will prove it to be. You are being a great guy to offer however. You should decline.

I see it as no different from using an RV to give a Young Eagles Flight. You (they) are not selling a ride. They are selling a chance at a prize. That is not a commercial operation. It is a charitable donation, which is allowed.

FAR 91.146 specifically says you must have a standard airworthiness certificate.

I presume young eagles flights do not raise any money for any purpose, or they have a waiver.

Last edited:
pa38112, There is a Huge difference from using an RV to give a Young Eagles Flight. The EAA has an Exemption from the FAA and you as a member operate under that exemption. Hint, Hint.

Check with your FSDO.

I was asked to do the same thing with my RV last year and had to decline.

And I'm sure a lawyer will rip you to shreds if you hurt anyone landing off-field or similar.

Simply put, you nor any other RV pilot will get a waiver. The only exceptions are CFI's. And you would need to be the only CFI within states of another one.
Last point, you will not be able to prove an Equivilant level of safey as a certified bird. I am running around the FAA flag pole as I write. There are good reasons why these laws exist

Simply put, you nor any other RV pilot will get a waiver. The only exceptions are CFI's. And you would need to be the only CFI within states of another one.
ist

Not sure what you are talking about here. Transition training? Normally you cannot rent out an EAB, but the FAA will grant a waiver, called a "LODA" (Letter of Deviation Approval - or is it 'authority'?), allowing for-hire operations but only for transition traing, nothing else. Strictly speaking the LODA holder is the aircraft owner/operator, who may or may not be a cfi. And there are no limitations on the number of LODAs that a FSDO may give out. The apparent dearth of them is because the high cost of insurance makes transition training a money-losing proposition, except for the few who are already well known, and get a large enough business to justify the insurance costs.