Colin McG

In the UK, where I lived until 2003, a personalised car license plate usually meant you had more money than sense. Until a few years ago it wasn't possible to choose a personalised plate and those that looked personalised were made from the clever arrangement of the letters and numbers. With the help from a rubber grommet, strategically placed over the plate attachment screw, a shorted 1 became an i. The spacing would be changed so that "1 3" looked like a "B" and hence TUR 130, became TURBO. In the early 60's the suffix letter denoted the year of registration so COM1C and COL1N became possible. You'd need a sense a humour to drive around with FAT 130Y on the front and back of your car but someone does. Steve Parish, the motorcycle racer, had perhaps the most entertaining plate and one which missed the eyes of the censors at the licensing agency. Because of this restriction personalised plates became very expensive and it wasn't unusual to see a car that had a plate worth more than the car.

I now live in Canada and personalised plates don't have, or at least I don't think they have(!), quite the same image. My wife was looking for something for my birthday and I'd recently started flying an RV-7A so what better than:

M6wa4hCjpiIavLZSv9T-Yw

I know I'm not the only one and an RV builder not far from here has a RV related plate. I'll name no names and he can own up if he wants. Any other's willing to share?

And for any Brits old enough to remember....

Fiona Richmond's - of Men Only fame - FU 2

Have to admit my Vermont plate is SHARKEY
It would never "fly" with the DVLC in Swansea - also home of the delightful Catherine Zeta Jones

Jim Sharkey

Tags

Front plates only--3M TA3 was my favorite, but would not pass the wise censors. And just yesterday in Illinois I saw IOM TA3.

A little stretch and Bart Simpson could have: 3M 3TI13, but the B would be backwards in the mirror.

Mark