zebraone

Question (as I'm in the evaluation stage of RV-7 ownership):
In one of Van's recommended reading, 'Kit Airplane Construction' by Wanttaja, two quotes:
1) "Aviation Consumer magazine tested one of the most popular kitplanes: It clearly has no desire to maintain its trim speed--a fault that would immediately flunk it for FAA certification. The poor little autopilot trimmed its brains out trying to hold altitude, but never did manage anything better than an endless 500-fpm roller coaster ride.
The kit manufacturer's test pilot said he preferred not to try full stick-to-the-stop-and-hold-it stalls, as required by FAA certification testing, without a parachute." (page 21)
2) "One magazine had these comments from a kitplane's designer: 'I won't permit deep stalls. . . I don't think you can get it out of a spin.'" (page 22)

Please assure me these comments are not about RV's. Thanks, Solo in Mexico

I think that evaluation is extreme. In my RV-7 I've gone hours on end holding altitude with no altitude hold autopilot. I've also spun my RV-7 more times than I can count.

Where in Mexico are you? Best thing to do might be to swing up to southern California and get a ride in one and see just how stable they can be.

My RV9 is rock solid. As I was enjoying a perfect CAVU early evening in middle Georgia yesterday, I said to myself "man, I can trim this thing and fly all night, hands off." I have trim switches on my stick grip and those combined with very small power changes can hold my pitch anywhere I choose.

RV Stability

Thanks guys! I'm in a northern suburb of Mexico City, and God willing will return home to the Austin, TX area mid-2007. I will join the EAA & VA chapters there and bum a ride with someone in Texas. I guess my plans still hold to build an RV7 since I didn't win Sporty's Skyhawk. If I win (how do you spell fat chance?) the AOPA Cherokee Six, I'd probably still sell it and build the RV.

I'm reasonably sure that the article is referring to one of the early Lancairs or Glasairs, not to RVs. Some of the older glass airplanes, Lancairs in particular, had some less-than-desirable pitch stability characteristics. If I remember correctly, both airplanes wound up with larger horizontal stabs because the original designs were so pitch-sensitive.

Dave

RV Stability

I'll bet you're right. Perhaps the author may have been referring to the Bede 5 since it was mentioned in the previous section. He wouldn't state the make/model for fear of litigation.

zebraone said:
)

Please assure me these comments are not about RV's. Thanks, Solo in Mexico

You can find objective flying qualities reports on various RVs (and other aircraft) here.

There are also some other (more dated) reports here.

I'm pretty sure those comments weren't directed at RVs

James Freeman