• 240 - 260 lbs

Votes: 18 4.2%
  • > 260 lbs

Votes: 15 3.5%

• Total voters

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
And now, to lighten things up a bit! Well, maybe not…..;)

We hear all the time that a light RV is a well-flying RV. The lighter, the more delightful is what we all know to be true. This is actually valid with almost all airplanes, and it is also true that designs get heavier with age – it is just impossible for us all not to add features and capabilities that naturally come with a weight penalty. Modern avionics have actually reversed that trend a little bit – new digital boxes are generally much lighter than the steam gauges and tube radios they are replacing – but then we simply add more of them to get additional capability, so we rarely see the savings.

Some folks go to great lengths to build a light airframe, and that is a great goal – one way to achieve a light ship. I think someone here cut out all the allowable lightening holes in an RV-6, saved the parts removed, and weighed them all – it came to a couple of pounds. So lightening the structure is hard to do. Putting in minimal equipment, going with a wood prop, using a Chino paint scheme (bare aluminum) – these all work. But remember that when you become airborne, the weight we are talking about is TOTAL weight – aircraft, fuel, cargo, and humans. Which begs the question – how much weight is the average RV’er carrying around on their bodies while trying to save a pound here and a pound there on the airplane?

The LAST thing I want to know is how much people weigh BY NAME….that would come under the heading of “To Much Information” in spades. So let’s keep the poll anonymous. But if I remember my demographics correctly, RV’ers tend towards their 50’s, and that’s a time we begin fighting the “Battle of the Bulge” in earnest. My Flight Surgeons (frequently) harp on the fact that the lighter we are, the better it is all around – and we can expect to keep that medical and fly longer to boot!

So vote if you will – keep it anonymous, comment if you like – and let’s see, how many cheeseburgers is that SL-30 worth again?:):eek:

Paul

Last edited:
Build light?

Can't think of a way to build much lighter (only heavier) so I lost 30 pounds in the last year.:D

I started running 4 years ago to get myself a bit healthier. My doctor was threatening me with medication for high blood pressure. Last week I did an 8 mile run, and I'm looking to do a half marathon next year. BP is way down, resting pulse is way down, and I took off 20 pounds. Still could drop another 10. Get out there and do some regular exercising. Your body will thank you.

And an added bonus...

Not only will reduction in the pilots mass help the gross weight, but you'll also magically find a couple inches of hip room in the cockpit and find it much roomier with a passenger.

Pilot weight

Like a great many other pilots..weight is a variable.I slip between 195 and 200 depending on supper. I can tell the difference when I belt up before flight. At one point before Airventure I was down to 190 then I discovered the Golden Choral in Oshkosh. We don't have any here in Canada. Melted cheese....MMMMMMMMM

Dave

So much for the mythical 170 lb. pilot

Can you imagine what I would look like (at 6'4", large frame) if I actually weighed 170? A Biafran refuge or POW? Probably disappear from view if I turned sideways.

Being average height and weight, or less, is a real asset for a pilot.

LarryT

You know

Paul, you know the first liar never wins. I weighed in this morning at 186 lb., I wish. Reality shows I tip the scales at 226.

WOW!! I'm the lightest one!! :D

Bravo! I suspect it has something to do with your good diet.

500px-World_map_of_Male_Obesity%2C_2008.svg.png

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_map_of_Male_Obesity,_2008.svg)

I personally think the 'build it light' phenomenom gets a little out of control with some builders. I lost 16 pounds this spring and I'm a lot happier with doing that than agonizing over every little thing while building. YMMV

Well

I'm from England..Guess I'm Supposed to be in the lower quartile with bad teeth..Thankfully only one of those statements is true..:)

Frank

I'm adding AP servos and EMS to the 9A over the winter. My deal with me is that I can't order the equipment until I lose the equivalent weight.

I started running 4 years ago to get myself a bit healthier. My doctor was threatening me with medication for high blood pressure. Last week I did an 8 mile run, and I'm looking to do a half marathon next year. BP is way down, resting pulse is way down, and I took off 20 pounds. Still could drop another 10. Get out there and do some regular exercising. Your body will thank you.

It's amazing the good results that come back with your blood tests after starting up an excercising program. The important thing is getting your heart rate up. I casually jog 5k 3X a week. Slowly worked into that pace over a period of a year, and never push myself. Love that afterglow feeling after you're done. Excercise, a reasonble diet, and maintaining an average weight can do wonders for anybody.

All pilots know how important it is to keep the weight down on their plane, but don't spend as much time on themselves. Regardless of where the weight comes off, every pound lost, is another 3 feet per minute in climb gained.

Pilot Weight

Your categories don't go down low enough! I'm almost light enough to be legal in the baggage compartment of my RV-9A. Might be a bit hard to reach the rudder pedals from there though.

If I can I would like to suggest the book "Younger next year" by Chris Crowley IMHO it is a must read. I lost over 60 lbs and have completly changed my life thanks to exercise

Three Cheers...

for anybody who loses unnecessary weight. A hard thing to do in this day and age with all the visuals and suggestions coming in from all sides.

I dropped 30 pounds in a year, so it was a slow and steady as she goes. I'm now 172 to 175 from 206 on a 6' frame. Wouldn't have it any other way. I push the plate away after one sensible serving, and the kitchen is closed after dinner.

Casey now climbs 400 ft/min quicker and cruises 10 knots faster. Yup.

a healthy hobby

And I wonder how the results will compare with the population at large (although since the poll does not distinguish between male and female, an assumption will be necessary.
Is 10 years in the garage pounding rivets (with the occasional well deserved beer) a healthier than average lifestyle? I"d say it beats sitting in front of the television, and is right up there with the occasional jog, (but much less risky and less hard on the joints).
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Great post Paul!

During a BD4 fly-in a few years ago another BD4 builder asked me what my empty weight was. When I told him he scoffed because it was 75lbs heavier than his. He was an easy 300+lbs while i'm a mean 185lb. The thought crossed my mind to crush this guy with the cold reality of the Gross Weight concept but I smiled and went about my business.

Paul, good thing you didn't start this poll earlier, as I would have had to check one category heavier! I had gotten to point that it was getting difficult to lift my leg high enough to get up in my 170, and I was having a problem finding a seat location so I could reach the pedals AND get the yoke all the way back.:confused: I'm already on a (FAA-blessed) blood pressure medicine, and late last March my GP threatened medication for borderline diabetes if I don't lose some weight. His 6-month goal for me was 6% (15 lb) loss in body mass.

Taking that warning seriously, I'm up to 2.4 miles/weekday on a treadmill at 3.3 mph on a 10-15% grade, as well as an occasional 2.5-mile walk around the perimeter of TSP. That along with smarter eating has allowed me to lose 25 lb. in the last 5 months, and my resting pulse is down from 80 to about 60. I have about 50-60 lb more to get where I really want to be.

I'm just lazy enough that if it weren't for reducing the hassle of keeping my medical, I'd probably just take the easy way out and go for the medication. Thanks to my desire to keep flying, I'm sure I've chosen correct path. Even though I'm only about a third of the way to my goal, I feel waaaaay better. My wife has followed my lead, and between the two of us we should be able to knock at least 100 lb off the useful load requirement of that RV-? we're looking for.:cool:

When I started building, I was 333 lbs.! Way too large to fly in these small planes. Blood pressure was out of control and meds were on the way.

Fast forward a few years and I'm at 235. Almost ready to crack 100 lbs. lost.

I walk/run 3-4 miles per day in COS up some pretty good hills, then hit the Total Gym. Watch out Chuck Norris!

Next to the Total Gym hangs my cutaway drawing of the 7A I now build.

Aviation is a great motivator. It's kept me in the fight when I'm just tired of it all.

Blood pressure is way down, buying clothes is much easier, flying is somewhat comfortable.

Absolutley worth it!

Weights for Pilots

Don't forget to weigh yourself with the clothing you fly in. It all adds up.

Exercising has actually worked against me with regards to weight. I used to be below 140 but I was skinny and scrawny. I've exercised regularly most of my life but have been recently hitting the weights more and have actually put on some muscle.

Congrats to all the guys who have been exercising and losing weight! Good job!

Cheers,