hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I just reviewed the NOTAM and there is no special sign to hold up for parking at RV Acres, just HBC pr HBP. What do the rest of you do to get taxi directions to there? This is my first time in the RV and it's a rite of passage to be parked with the RV's.

I have flown my rv to osh 6 or 7 times. The volunteer parking crew do a great job or recognizing homebuilts by type and will group them together. Rest assured you will be ushered completely to the RV parking area unless they are full, and then you may end up in an adjacent area.

steve ciha

Answer

If you want to camp with your airplane, use HBC. If you want to just park and have other lodging arrangements, use HBP.

Brother Jeff and his crew will get you to the right place.

If you were to fly in the Airventure Cup Race

If you were to fly in the Airventure Cup Race you would land at Fond Du Lac and fly in a pair of group arival strings to Oshkosh and be parked in a special area west of 36L. It's too late to enter this year but something to think about for the future.

Bob Axsom

HBP or HBC Only

Your HBP or HBC sign will get you directed from wherever you are on the airport to the Homebuilt Parking area. Once you arrive at our area, the first person you encounter sorts homebuilts out by type and directs you down one of two taxiways, where you will be picked up by a scooter driver who will guide you all the way to your parking spot.

Leaving the show is exactly the opposite procedure.

Be sure you show your sign to each and every orange vest that you see (don't lay it on your glareshield, hold it up so we can see it.) You'll find that getting around on the grounds is the easiest part of flying in.

Last edited:
Many Thanks

I'm a veteran of OSH, but a first-timer with the RV. Thanks for the reassurance! Now let's make it harder. I want to drop my wife off at the passenger terminal with the luggage where the rental car will be waiting, then park the RV.

Rental car

Here's an idea- skip the passenger terminal and park with the wife and the bags in Area 51. The Homebuilt Welcome Wagon will be glad to ferry you, the wife and the bags to the rental car terminal after you get the airplane secured. That way you can stay together.

Area 51 sounds excellent

sprucemoose said:
Here's an idea- skip the passenger terminal and park with the wife and the bags in Area 51. The Homebuilt Welcome Wagon will be glad to ferry you, the wife and the bags to the rental car terminal after you get the airplane secured. That way you can stay together.
But, where is Area 51? Is that another name for the RV area? That would be perfect.

hevansrv7a said:
But, where is Area 51? Is that another name for the RV area? That would be perfect.
Oops, I should clarify. Area 51 is THE official name for the area comprising RV parking and homebuilt camping at Oshkosh. "RV Land," "Sea of RVs," etc. and many other names as it is known by.

An EAA chapter from Michigan operates the Welcome Wagons. They are mini-vans made into open air transports. They pick up pilots and pax as they arrive in homebuilt parking and shuttle them around to various destinations on the field, like the campgrounds, bus terminal, rental cars, etc. This is a free service, but they do accept donations so throw a few bucks in the can. When you park, the parking volunteer should ask you if you require a welcome wagon, but if they forget just ask them about it.

Of course, if you arrive at 2:00PM on Sunday at the peak of arrival busyness, there may be some wait for the wagon. Welcome to the world's busiest airport. At all other times they are Johny-on-the-spot.

If you drop the wife off at the terminal, then try to get back into the taxi sequence, park your plane, then meet up again, I'm afraid you might now see your wife for a day or two. Much easier to stick together.

As Jeff pointed out, skip the drop off at the terminal.

Here's how it works -- The PINK shirts (FAA) OWN the runways. You will never have an ORANGE shirt (EAA) put you on a runway or allow you to cross one. We may be there at a crossing with a PINK shirt but we will not be in control. As soon as you leave the runway you will be in the hands of the ORANGE shirts.

Here's why you don't want to go to the terminal... it's on the opposite side of 9-27 from HBC and HBP. Nine times out of ten you will not be allowed to cross 9-27, instead you will be taxied West to the end of the runway (about a mile) then cross over in "no man's land", then back East (about a mile) to the main taxiways. This little journey, sometimes called "around the block" is mostly in the grass and crossing taxiways, not the best environment for a RV to spend an hour.

Just to clarify, "OSH Rules" start on Friday this year, so expect to see PINK and/or ORANGE shirts Friday, Saturday and Sunday before the officiall start.

Larry

Arriving early can have its problems

In 1996 we flew in the Aircraft Spruce cross country air race from Denver to Oshkosh which was our first experience at Oshkosh. We taxied to the FBO at the nort end of the field and everything went very well.

In 2005 we arrived on Sunday after completing the AirVenture Cup Race with a Hertz reservation established at the terminal. We were parked in the racer rows west of 36 L near the tower. It was extremely hot. I made the major mistake of unloading everything out of the plane and lugging it with us thinking efficiency and we will only make this trek once thoughts. When I asked the arrival registration both attendant how to get transportation to the terminal she advised walking to the central tram connection stop and taking the one that goes to the area where people camp with their airplanes then ride the yellow school bus to the terminal. After we walked there with a heavy load of bags, one of the "that's not my problem" drivers of another color tram that was running on Sunday told us the tram service to the bus stop by the up by the "camp with your airplane" area was not in operation until Monday. An airport like Oshkosh is a very big place when you are on foot especially when you are carrying a heavy load of many unruly bags and we were too far away from the plane to go back. I asked some official if there was a way to get a taxi to the terminal and I was told you can call a central dispatcher number and they will contact a taxi but they can only come as far as the "Bus Tower" outside the AirVenture grounds by the west parking area. My wife has a cell phone for emergency situations but it is only a local area service. I decided to try it anyway thinking if anyone answers we might be able to work something out where they would process a call regardless of the cost. It worked but we had 20 minutes or something like that to get to the Bus Tower pickup area. My wife is a type 1 diabetic and the heat, the exertion and the stress of uncertainty drove her to the point of collapse before we reached the Bus Tower. I stood on the west side of her to give her some shade so she could recover while sitting. She got enough energy for one more push to get to the Bus Tower and we made it. My wife is 5' 8"+ person of light weight person (in the 120s) and strong will, who never complains about pain (to a fault) and she soldiered on but this experience caused problems that required emergency surgery after returning home.

Lessons learned:

1 - Get your car first to get yourself in control of your life situation before worrying about your bags etc. you can always go back and get them in a limited scope activity that is easily controlled.

2 - Your strength and endurance may not be matched by you partner and you should limit the scope of initial activities to those that are essential for survival and not try to do everything to the limits of your endurance in one big effort to transition into the semi-routine life at AirVenture situation in minimum time.

3 - Take a cell phone it may be your only salvation regardless of the one big happy family place image of the event. You need an independent way out if everything is not going well.

4 - Stick together, you are the ones that will help each other more than anyone else and it can very easily become a necessity at Oshkosh.

Bob Axsom

Bob,

Sounds like you had quite an adventure, and I'm sorry you got the run around. It sounds like it all started with some bad advise from the person at registration. I'm curious- did you register at the new Homebuilt HQ building, or at the old one closer to IAC?

The one by IAC

The one by IAC. Last year we were parked closer to the north end and we walked (without our bags) to the place where we cought the yellow school bus to the terminal. That worked well.

Bob Axsom