kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

So I was thinking (always a dangerous thing). A number of us have parachutes for when we do acro with passengers.

I've seen a number of threads where folks talk about buying chutes for phase 1 testing. Would it be useful to keep a list of folks who are willing to loan their chutes for this application?

It seems kinda silly for people to buy chutes which are almost certainly not going to be used. I'd be happy to loan one of mine to any norcal RV builder who would feel better wearing a chute during phase 1 tests. The only thing I ask: If you end up using it that I get a chance to hear the story.

Kevin

Good idea

Good idea for sure.

This post reminded me of a funny ad I saw somewhere.

"Parachute for sale, used once, small stain, $100"

You need lessons.

Guys, if you wear a parachute, know for sure how to jump out of an airplane with it. Go get some lessons and jump a time or two.

It's not simply,..."Jump out and pull". You can easily get tangled up in it and we don't know for certain whether most RV's can have their canopy opened in flight.

Best,

I've often thought about this type of thing, but on a larger scale. There are plenty of things I have that I use rarely, and would not mind loaning out to the right set of folks.

I have pondered how to create some sort of aviation loan/exchange site/service that people could participate in if they offered something to the service.

Larger ticket items that don't get used up are a good candidate. Parachutes, engine lifts, aircraft scales, and potentially even things like headsets and handheld radios. I have a big drill press I rarely use. I'd be more than willing to let anyone use it...BYO Bits.

I know this happens on a local community basis just by talking to thers and becoming friends, but it can be a stretch to find the right widget when you are a new to the scene.

One problem is that some items are more consumable than others. Anyway, I applaud your willingness to let others use your stuff when you aren't. If anyone wants to use my drill press (in my basement), let me know...

You can easily get tangled up in it.
Best,

Pierre, I need to respectfully disagree with this statement. Pulling stable will enhance the probability of a good opening but it certainly is not critical. The sport jumpers have proven that. Just go watch some of those videos of out of control students deploying in all sorts of body positions. Parachutes are very reliable devices. I do agree that training is a good thing though.